20 years in storage. What would you do?

On Sat, 5 Jun 2004 07:55:14 -0700, "Tracy" wrote: ...transmixer is likely fine as is. Engine....yeas a teardown to shortblock would be adviseable to inspect everything. if all appears in good shape and everything rotates frrely, then I would simply replace the valve springs...might as well lap the valves at the same time, the builder likely didn't invest the time to do this. re-asseble with new gasket kit...prime oil system and start engine using normal break in procedures. I really do not think much else would be damaged by the time, assuming no corrosion made it to the bottom end etc.

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian
************************************************************ I AM NOT TRYING TO SELL THIS, ONLY TO HEAR OPINIONS ON BUYING AND REBUILDING THE ENGINE AND TRANSAXLE!

My Dad is the owner of the entire kit including the running gear and it is located at his place in Northern California

somewhere around 1982 my Dad decided that he wanted to build a kit car. Within a year he had the kit, (1955 porsche california speedster, very cool!) a shortend pan, engine, transaxle, and pretty much everything he needed except the time to put it together. One thing after another and, fast forward to today, he still has the whole deal pretty much still in the origional crates.

**Here's the question** The transaxle and engine are (were) brand new rebuilds but have been sitting in their packing crates for over 20 years, what are the pro's and con's of investing time, money and effort into them?

The trans is a "freeway flier". The engine is a 1600 rebuilt to a 2 liter (turn key). He doesn't remember the exact specs on the engine, only that it has duel delardo carbs and was built to be a "hot daily driver" as per his request. He's going to check the crate to see if there is a spec sheet but for now that's all I have to go on.

I figure that if it can corrode or rust it probably has so they'll have to be torn down, cleaned and re assembled but probably won't need a total rebuilt.

At this point he and I are at the "make me an offer" point...

So, what would you do?

**************************************************************************** ****************** As a follow up: I'm going to be at my Dad's place in a few weeks to look at everything first hand. I'll take pictures and try to get as much information as possible to pass on to anyone interested. If I decide not to tackle the drive train myself, Dad will be offering the whole deal for sale.
Reply to
Tracy

Tearing it down will also give you a chance to determine what actually went into this engine; bore, stroke, cam, etc.

Max

Reply to
Max Welton

replace the brake hoses. Replace the fuel hoses. Change the engine and transmission oil, remove spark plugs, and squirt oil into plug holes. Change battery. Remove fuel tank and clean it. Put it back together, and crank it with the plugs NOT installed. When you get oil pressure, run it. Change oil again in 100 miles.

And watch out, it needs new tires

John Aircooled.Net Inc.

Reply to
John Connolly

I wish to emphasize John's last recommendation (the rest are, of course, right on). Tires have a pretty darned short lifetime, especially when they've been grounded for a long time. It would be a shame to get everything else right and crash when a sidewall decides to become road debris. You cannot neccessarily _see_ the weaknesses.

Reply to
jjs

I pulled a motor out of storage after 18 years and tore it down. It was fine inside. No rust or corrosion was found. It was stored full of oil. It seemed to develope some oil seeping in a few places but otherwise was fine.

The carbs and fuel pump may need some work due to old dried out gaskets,

I think with a little work it should run fine.

Theo

Reply to
Theo McCormick