some useful? info on testing injectors

Talked to the owner of a local shop today (Sooner Auto on AirDepot, Midwest City, OK). Good shop, I use them to fix my mom's 86 Merc. Especially when I'm up to my elbows in Jeep or just don't have the time/equipment.

Asked about a local place that would clean/test injectors off the vehicle and they weren't aware of one but he did explain an interesting method to check injectors for proper (mostly proper) operation. You can't check the spray pattern this way but it might be a good idea if all the other rough idle solutions arn't working.

Basically you pressurize the fuel rail then watch a pressure gauge hooked to the rail as you fire off one of the injectors. (The tricky part is the test gear that fires them for a set time in milliseconds). Wash, rinse, repeat for all injectors and that gives you the delivery for each. Compared with the factory spec you now know if they are delivering the proper amount of fuel. That indicates ones that are slow to close, plugged, or worn and needs replacing. (or possibly a good cleaning)

I think one could build such a test rig with some simple RadioShack parts like a 555 timer and a power transistor. But it would take more time and money than just having them do it. Mebby if I run across an old injector to play with.

What I need is a spare set so these can be shipped away, cleaing and testing is about 1/6 the cost of a new injector.

Reply to
DougW

Sounds like a project for my electronic skills.

Can someone give me the low down on how these are triggered?

Reply to
SB

SB did pass the time by typing:

12v dc. They are just a solinoid powered by a fuse and grounded through the ECU. The "short" test is to put 12V across the injector pins and listen for a click.

Needless to say, not rated for constant duty. :)

Coil resistance is nominally 14.5 Ohms at 68 F

That would set the lower power requriement for any transistor switching. I'd probably aim higher or fuse it just in case you hook up to a sticky or shorted injector. (possibly current limiting diode?)

Dunno.. sleepy. must go to real job in the morning.

Reply to
DougW

Be careful, some injectors are called Peak and Hold. Basicly, the injector takes a higher current to open, then needs a lower current to keep it open. If you supply to much current to this type of injector you will overheat it and burn it out.

Kelly

Reply to
kelly

Just a followup..

Found this while searching.

Interesting, and I have a regulator and pump. Problem is the connector, possibly just hose and a pipe clamp would work to feed the injector.

Reply to
DougW