Useful Info About Taxing A Car

Just a bit of info that may be of use....

Tax run out - no reminder, since moved house. Can't find log book, but got everything else.

PO can't help, so how do you tax the car - you've got the MOT and insurance and the dosh but they wont let you pay!

Ring DVLA. Bloke says go to you local tax office. We havn't got one, you closed it. Oh! yes you have. Where? Nottingham. Well, that's really local - I'll have a day off work - who should I send the incvoice to? You can't do that - you'll have to fill in a V62. OK. so that will stop me getting nicked while it comes through? No, and it will take 4 weeks. Ok, you write me a letter saying I've offered to pay the tax, but you can't accept it on a technicality, so I shouldn't be fined? Nope, can't do that. Ok, so I can't go to work for 4 weeks, as I can't drive the car to Nottingham, you won't take my money, what am I supposed to do? Bloke says basically it's not his problem. Right, can I speak to your supervisor? If you must, but she'll say the same. Woman comes on the line, obvioulsy looking at the cars tax history on a screen. She explains the situation to me to make sure she understands. Bob on. Then says, take the last reminder to the PO, with proof of address, and they should issue tax.

Now why the bloody hell couldn't it say that on the sodding web site, never mind the first clown not mentioning it.

So if you end up in the same boat having moved house, that's what you do. It's so dammed simple if they just tell you!

Arrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

Richard

P.S. - didn't bother to mention I have a spare car, since a) it's not the point - I just wanted to pay my *tax* and I don't see why I should be inconvenience to do so, and b) I'm waiting to see if someone gets tipped off about me driving an untaxed car (not that I am), since they don't know my new address and therefore won't know about Granville the 90.

Reply to
beamendsltd

In news:9c272b14e% snipped-for-privacy@btconnect.com, beamendsltd wibbled :

Interesting, I usually try to do mine online.

What would they do if they had attempted to fine you for non payment. To which address would the send the penalty notification?

Warning, don't try to scrap while SORNd they just don't seem to be able to understand that one.

Reply to
GbH

Unfortunately you can't in the circumstances described.

You'd get a lot of nasty post when it was registered, as people often do when they buy a car from a lay-by!

It's "help desk syndrome" - if you need option 11 out of 10 they can't cope. Unfortunately most systems analysts are not as bright as they think they are and don't cover *all* cicumstances, just the ones that are supposed to happen, which is not real-world. All systems diagrams should have a box labelled "Deal With Option 11", but I've never seen one yet!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Why not? If it has a computerised MOT and is insured then you could have taxed it online. Thats what i just did with the 101. Insured it and MOT'd it and then tax online went through fine a couple of days later. When i got pulled over an hour after taxing it on the net the police man was quite happy with my 'just taxed it online office' excuse as to why it wasnt showing up on his computer and had no disc.

Reply to
Tom Woods

To do the tax online you need either the reminder with the reference number, or the logbook. Without either of those, you're knackered.

Reply to
Matt Brown

According to the DVLA site, you are not actually legal until the hard copy of the tax disc is on the car.

Hopefully the dibbles would be reasonable and not enforce to the letter, but on the other hand...

David

Reply to
rads

"rads" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Well I'm going to make an effort to escape my desk and drive through the snow to go and see Richard.....

.....then we'll what he's got to say fer himself....

.... cos I need a spare wheel carrier for the Disco :-D

I'm still waiting to have my ass dragged through court after they sent a renewal a whole month too early... old tax disc is still on the shelf with the renewal.

To be fair they have had a stressful day at Swansea... surprised they answered the Phone.

Lee

Reply to
Dr_D

Yes, they're closing ours sometime this year, we will have to go to Northampton or somewhere now

Alex

Reply to
Alex

I keep posting this - government websites are just advertising "oh look what a good job we are doing screwing up your life and liberty" Getting information is so bad unless you want to know what the latest potty scheme is ! bugger all relavent " sack em all I say"

Derek ASBO = Another Sound Bite Opportunity

Reply to
Derek

Just done that, thought they might fine me for not SORNing it if the scrapping notification went astray so SORNed it as well. Got two replies same morning's post, one thanks for the SORN and the other for the scrap notification. Now I'm well prepared with the appropriate paperwork, or am I?. What horrors await?

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Last time i scrapped a car it was sorned shortly before, and i got a letter back saying 'thanks for letting us know that you have scrapped car reg xxxxxx' - with the reg number of one of my other cars on it! (currently taxed and on the road!). I never got round to chasing it up and have never had any more reminders for the car i scrapped so i guess it all got through in the end. If you have a proof of posting certificate then if they do compain about something you can just write back and say 'i sorned/scrapped it on this date here is proof' and there aint a lot more they can say.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Because the addresses won't match - the new disc is sent to the registered keepers address (I did point out to them that the registered keeper is not necesserily the owner, which confused the bloke).

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Proof of posting, or a "signed for" ticket *don't* count with Government departments - I know, Companies House fined me £1000 when a form went astray. Mind you , they are the top of the "it's the procedure, go **** yourself" league.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

They do count with the DVLA!

which is obviously a sign of how good they think their system is...

Reply to
Tom Woods

If they did, things wouldn't just blow up in their faces would it.

Reply to
Elder

Well, failure to display a valid disc is an offence in itself, is it not?

Reply to
Elder

Like i said, the police were happy with it in my case.

I am happy to drive without a tax disc (obviously after ive paid for it but before it arrives) because I am willing to argue that i just paid for the bloody thing and they have charged me from the beginning of the month anyway, so sod it, im driving wether i have it or not and their much vaunted electronic system can keep track of me!

Reply to
Tom Woods

There's still failure to display. I got one many moons ago for a motorbike, though I didn't have a disc at all - Swansea were on strike, but that didn't stop them. The fact that I had the choice of displayig an out of date one, or none at all didn't seem to matter!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

I think however that they could be counter sued in a civil court for damages as the proof of posting would be sufficient for the civil courts, I think it would make an interesting test case if the bureacrats were individually and corporately sued for there malpractice.

Reply to
Larry

It wouldn't get anywhere, there's a bit on their web site somewhere saying they won't accept proof of postage as proof of delivery. I tried an appeal, but they stick to the absolute letter of the rules, and will only consider appeals if *they* admit to making a mistake, which of course they never do, except if you premises have burned down. Computer problems don't count either - even like someone stealing it!

To show you the mentality of Companies House, to avoid fines for later delivery you have to send in accounts, *knowing* (and having told them so), that there is an error making them a load of bollocks.

They show about as much encouagement to small businesses (and large ones for all I know) as a Lollipop lady that pushes kids into the road to stop the traffic.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd