Speaker and Center Console rattling and vibrations

Hi -

I have a 2003 TJ Sport; Couldn't be any better... except...

When I have the speaker at any mild volume, or even quiet playing a deep base song, the center console vibrates in an absolutely distracting and annoying way.

It seems to come from behind the vents, and the top-tray on the center console. The vibrating can be completely dampened by simply resting my hand on the top console.

I'm not sure if this is a common problem, or if my particular jeep needs to have something tightened internally. Are there any modifications which anyone could suggest to remedy this problem.

I have a stock sound setup.

Thanks.

Matt

Reply to
butner

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com did pass the time by typing:

:) Not that I'm an audio nut or anything. (:

Getting to those noises are "fun" in the banging your head with a dull object sort of way.

Lots of those noises are caused when the foam blocks around heating ducts and other plastic bits start to give way. General wear and tear takes care of the rest. A small blob of RTV on screws will keep them in place and cut down on noise.

I'd be checking the screws that hold the console down. Not knowing your model I'd be guessing they are by the defroster vents and under the instrument shade (overhang). The material I use to eliminate buzzes (and road noise) isn't cheap but it works well. It's called DynaMat or DeadMat. A lead faced sticky rubber sheet you cut and apply to the metal that's buzzing. It doesn't take much, just a few square inches to deaden most panels. Although you can go nuts with it.

Reply to
DougW

Sorry; It's a 2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sport - Soft top.

Reply to
butner