Lights out

I have a '98 Sahara and the other night my dash lights went out. No biggie, I figured just a fuse. Next night got stopped by a cop to inform me my tail lights and brake lights were out as well. Checked the fuses and they looked okay... any thoughts? Is this a DIY or am I going to have to get a shop to fix?

Thanks in advance - DM

Reply to
DrMega

I would start checking all of the frame ground points.

Good Luck! Jim Smith

Reply to
Jim Smith

Personally I'd lead to a bad switch or relay.

As someone else mentioned though... 'those damned earths!'

Reply to
Jason Backshall

Wow, prompt responses! Yeah after posting I remembered newsgroup etiquette - search the backlog first (apologies - it's been a while since I newsgrouped). Found some of the same suggestions.

Thanks all - I'll check those grounds. Sounds like the switch is a pain so here's hoping it's not that.

Reply to
DrMega

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

With Brake Lights not working too, I don't think it will be a switch or relay.

Just my opinion! Jim Smith

Reply to
Jim Smith

Check the fuses in the power dist box under the hood as well as those behind the glovebox.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

What about the signals and emergency flashers?

Mike

Mike Romain

It won't be the light switch, the brake lights don't go through there. You've either lost the power going to those circuits or you've lost the ground return from them.

Do your parking and marker lights in front work? If they do you know you've got power going to the light switch. Headlight power also goes through the light switch but has a different power feed, so don't be mislead by that.

Or, all of your tail lamp filaments gave up in the same week. Pull `em and meter them to be sure. While you've got the housings apart check for continuity from the lamp sockets to ground.

Let us know how you make out.

DrMega wrote:

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

The tail lights and dash lights are the same circut, but the brake lights are not. I have had the same problem, I ended up replacing the fuse with a circut breaker I got at NAPA Auto, it looks just like a fuse but its a circut breaker that ossilates until it locks the circut closed. If your brake lights are also out its a grounding issue, I have also had that problem and had to take each light apart and clean all the connections, I even had to add a grounding strap to the headlights.....so far so good.

Reply to
Erich

Reply to
philthy

Emergency flashers work, but signals in back do not.

In answer to another post, I didn't check the fuses under the hood - on my way to do that now.

Reply to
DrMega

Please clarify.

The emergency flashers 'will' light up all 4 bulbs or not?

Mike

Mike Romain