swapping 96 Grand Cherokee rear end - how tough could it be?

Just got my jeep back from the shop and apparently it's bad bearings. Said they'd have to tear it down to see if the gears are bad. $1800+ for a jeep with 200K miles...

How tough would it be to buy a salvaged rear-end and swap them out?

Reply to
dash

dash did pass the time by typing:

Providing the new rear-end is servicable, not too hard. The hardest thing would probably be moving brake hardware and if you were careful you might not even have to bleed the lines.

If you do this it's better to find a rental lift.

You might also want to check

find out what a new rear-end costs.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

How did you come to THAT conclusion Bill?

On another note, I had the rear gears done on my Mustang. It was $265 labor plus parts. Have you had the opportunity to get other estimates?

KJK

Reply to
KJ.Kate

Reply to
dash

No other estimates, but I'm thinking it might be time for a new (used) jeep... A jeep mechanic told me it seemed kind of high, and let's face it, with 200K mi, what's next?

But still, if I have this one lying around, what could it hurt to have a project car?

Reply to
dash

Kate,

Bill came to that conclusion, because Grand Cherokees in that year range are famous for failing in that way. Bill, given that that is the failure, does the original poster have the option of replacing his rear end with something of a more suitable material?

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Ouch! Paying twenty-five hundred for a new aluminum center rear end, is throwing good money after bad. It is like buying a new Chevrolet Vega four cylinder engine block, after the plated cylinder walls on the original wore through. In this guy's place, I would be trying to retrofit something, anything.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to