T4 in an 86 CJ7

I have a four speed manual in my recently acquired '86 CJ7 (258). Saw a thread from a while back (Mike Romain) suggesting that the four speed was not a stock option in 1986.

According to this resource it was:

Anyone know for a fact whether it is even possible that I have a stock tranny or not?

Dean

Reply to
Deano

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

The 4 speed was MOST DEFINITELY an option in 1986! I had a factory Tremec T-176 4sp in my '86 CJ7 Laredo. I knew the Jeep since it had 11k miles on it back in '88 and subsequently bought it from the owner at 24k miles. Are you sure that's not what's in yours? The T4 is a lighter duty trans.

tw

Reply to
Thomas Waldron

Thanks for the responses.

In fact, all I really know is that it is a 4 speed and I didn't really suspect it had been replaced (nothing else has obviously been modified on the vehicle). Given this, it most likely is the T176. I should have read the link I included a little more carefully as the T4 was only listed for the 4 banger ;)

In follow-up, is this a good solid transmission? I have no complaints, but again it is a new rig for me and my first jeep. Any quirks/issues I should know about?

Dean

Thomas Waldr> > I have a four speed manual in my recently acquired '86 CJ7 (258). Saw

Reply to
Deano

This is the best tranny that was available in a CJ in '86. You got the good one!

tw

Deano wrote:

Reply to
Thomas Waldron

I think it might be fair to say that in a Jeep it is possible that you may have had a factory installed (insert any brand/model) (insert part name) as they routinely would change suppliers and perform special request installations at the factory and it was quite common that no special records were kept of these installations..

Reply to
billy ray

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

From the rest of the responses and the link, it would appear I was in error about a 4 speed in the last CJ's whenever I wrote that.

It sounds like the T-176 4 speed was around still then.

My T-5's 5th gear or overdrive is useless anyway with my stock 3.31 gears and 33" tires. If I use it, my gas mileage drops by about 5 mpg.

Mike

Mike Romain