CJ7 3spds?

How are these trannies? My latest Jeep I'm looking at is a rusty '80 CJ7 Laredo 6cyl 258 with 127,000km on it. Original owner. 3spd tranny tho ...

Thanks again for help guys.

Reply to
griffin

They didn't make a three speed for '80:

If it's ayear older it would be stronger than anything in Daimler. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||Omailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Hmm, must be a '79 then. I'm going to check it out tomorrow so I'll look at the registration, etc. I noticed it lists these gears at 2.99. I know nothing of how gears work and what the subsequenct number means when it comes to offroading ...is this set-up good if I were to add a bit of lift and throw 32 or 33" muds on?

Reply to
griffin

While I tend to agree that they were not supposed to be in 80 models it appears that a few were built with T150 3 speeds in them. Possible at start of model year to use up old stock. Other than it being a 3 speed it is a sturdy tranny. Ratios are 1st-2.99, 2nd-1.75, 3rd-1.00 and rev-3.17. Around 79 saw the end of the T18 4 speed too and the 4 sp that replaced with a T-176 that had a first gear not much deepr than the T-150 rather than the granny gear first of the T-18. The T150 will hold up fine but your clutch will not if you lft it and install bigger tires with regearing axles. If you leave it stock you will do fine.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

I would not use tires like that with stock gearing because it would be hard on clutch. Jeeps back then came with a small tires diameter and

32 or 33's would represent a large effective final drive ratio change and I would not recomand it unless you regear it or maybe swap in a old T-18 with a granny first gear.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

No one has ever bitched about the 3 speed that I have heard of, it is a strong tranny. I have wheeled with folks with them.

I have never heard of any clutch failures in CJ's from 'anyone' who knows how to drive a standard tranny in a Jeep. When you off road you have your low range which goes nicely with the 3 speed.

Seeing as the CJ7 will fit 31's in it's stock form which is where the stock speedometer gear is exact to a GPS, upping to a 32 or 33" tires isn't a big step.

The higher number of gears in the later transmissions and the overdrive they add in is for that CAFE or whatever they want to call the fuel consumption numbers. You get better mileage when you have the gear ranges to keep the engine in it's 'sweet' spot or around 2300 rpm for the 258.

Look close at the frame tails and at the inside added box frame on the passenger side behind the door and on the drivers side by the rear of the front spring for rust and cracks. Also check the steering box anchor points.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > Hmm, must be a '79 then. I'm going to check it out tomorrow so I'll look at
Reply to
Mike Romain

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 09:46:48 -0400, Mike Romain wrote:

You are playing with fire taking this guys advise on tire size and gear ratios. He think that his 3.31's are a great with oversized tires and he see no problem with hving 5th gear kinda usless and less power in all the other gears and needing low rang more by default due to lack of effective gear ratio. But see people like mike do not understand the big picture that low range was no made for over sized tires or to make up for improper effective gear ratio because of tires size. Mike also beleive that the best way to reduce drive line stress and wrapup/bind in 4x4 it to burn rubber in reverse too. See mikes answers are based on ego, not fact, physics or science. When you ahve a stick shift, the taller the effective ratio, the more torque clutch has to transmit and the longer it has to slip before the disc and flywheel speeds are matched for full engagement. SLipping the clutch does not multiply torque at all. Automatics are a bit more tolerant of gear ratio changes at start out because the torque converter in the tranny can multiply engine toque at stall/startup by 2 to 3 times (depending whether it is a singe or dual stator converter as a dual stator can do 3 to 1 or a bit better) What this mean is that if to have a automatic with a 2 to 1 stall and say 200 ft lbs of engine torque you would have a effect launch ratio of 5 to one in tranny with a 2 to 1 converter (2.5 gear ratio times 2) so you could put 1000 ft lbs of torque on tranny output shaft in theory and sustain it for several seconds if need be. WIth a 3 speed, you would only have 3 to 1 which means max torque would be 600 ft lbs output and if you tried to hold that level at a stall for more than a second or two tops, clutch would be toast. THink of it another way, if you go from 28's to 33 with stock gears you effective gear ratio would be about 20% taller which means it takes 20% more power to do anything and at start out it would be the same as starting out with a first gear ratio of about 2.4 to 1 with stock tires. It is all related unless you are a rocket scientist like Mike that beleives none of this even matters at all and only ego counts and you can fix this with a air cleaner and a exhaust.. BTW, I am not stalking him but I cannot resit responding to some of his stupid posts and advise. He leaves the door open a lot.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

You have proven beyond any reasonable doubt that you are a totally insane lying stalker that gives out advice that will Kill people.

Once again go screw off jerk!

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain

Now this is laughable!! You who have been chastised for continually posting wrong, misleading, and dangerous info on at least 5 newsgroups, have the balls to say people are playing with fire taking Mikes advice????????????????

You really are out of your friggin' mind!

Reply to
Roy

5 groups????

He is also over on the other Jeep groups with his BS. Today he is only trying to convince some poor guy to snap off his intake bolts on his I6 by ramping the torque up to the V8 spec of 43 ft lb instead of the 20-25 it calls for...

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain

Let's sick Bill on him.

:-) Craig C.

Reply to
Craig C.

And you thought the Original Poster was talking about axle ratio. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Hi Griffin, In the seventies California regarded Jeeps as farm vehicles, so like commercial trucks they take on the year they were actually sold. VIN decoder:

God Bless America, Bill O|||||||Omailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Much better than my Corvette 2.20 low, Muncie 22 rock crusher:

God Bless America, Bill O|||||||Omailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

5 that I drop into from time to time. Oh, and probably the largest snowplowing forum as well. Actually he was tossed from there.

Yup, he does have a problem with torque values. He once told a guy to tighten down the front bearing retainer on his trans. to 90 foot pounds when it was supposed to be 35. The stories about this clown are endless. Every so often he hit's on something but those times are few and far between. Of course there are the mindnumbing stories about burbs and dump trucks from

30 years ago. It is endless
Reply to
Roy

Now there is a interesting deal.

I'd give the win to the Idiot as he posts orginal stuff. They gay coward is a c&p artist, nothing there. Just a wasteland

Reply to
Roy

Roy,

With all due respect, all the crazy posts are bad enough without the "Dodge Boys" jumping into the quagmire. But if you're here to help, then thanks in advance -- just my opinion.

Frankly, I'd try "misc.transport.trucking" for a serious challenge.

Jon

Reply to
Jon

What help is this coward over there?

God Bless America, Bill O|||||||Omailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Jon, I sorta wandered over looking for some jeep info. Ya have some real good folk's here and one asshole who's only contribution seems to be a c&p artist. I was amazed to see the Idiot here spreading his misinformation around in this ng as well as the other's he frequents.

I'm going back to lurk mode, play nice.

Reply to
Roy

Ahh ok, makes sense. Turns out it was a 4speed anyway ...

Reply to
griffin