them are the brakes.

So I take my heep to a local mechanic I've had work done at before.

The first clue was some younger man called me asking about how to shut off the alarm. :) Ok. The owner of this shop is past retirement age so that's not a surprise.

They put on my new rotors and pads, fixed (welded up) the wear spot on the steering knuckle (where the pads slide and were sticking). But they didn't take the top off the brake fluid reservoir.....

yep.

It barfed all over the inside of the engine compartment and down the frame. Not good on the paint, but not exactly where I care. :)

I did this before as well.

The problem now is somewhere in the back of my mind I wonder what else they didn't do properly. That and I don't think it's proper to push old fluid up from the front calipers when you are replacing brakes. It's old, heat stressed, and usually contaminated.

So I bled the system with the last half of my spare brake fluid bottle. Probably will take it to the stealership where they can (for a not so insignificant fee) do a power flush on the brake system and get all the debris out. Usually do that once every five years or so and the coolant system needs flushing as well. I just don't have the space nor do I want to send antifreeze down the street.

On the plus side the brakes are now working much better and as soon as I get another 200 or so miles on them the should be up to full capability. No more squeaks or clunks when driving either! :D

Got my parts from O'Reilly Auto. Rotors: Brembo (flat surface) 27041 Pads: Performance Friction Carbon/Metallic 0477.20 Spent about $171 on those (including tax).

The shop charged me $80. Was hoping for a bit lower but then again I don't have a mig welder or the desire to take off work to sit feeding mosquitos in the sun while trying to electocute myself with a new toy.

Could have gotten parts a bit cheaper on the internet but since they have so many knockoffs out there I prefer to see the part. These were cast, nicely machined, and properly stamped.

The pads are killer. They even came in a cool padded box in little padded sleeves.

Reply to
DougW

Thanks for the laugh! Personally, I think yuo have the skills to do the bleed yourself, but testing to see if mosquitos will avoid you and go for brake fluid probably isn't your idea of fun eiter!

On the plus side, last year my garage/shop was infested with mosquitos with a 6" wingspan, capable of picking up a fully grown chipmonk, draining it and dropping the dried remains without having to touch down once. This year, they're gone!

But it is a PITA to have to drive to the mail box, since walking isn't an option. (Yea, the chipmonks avoid the driveway too now...)

Reply to
PeterD

Just sos y'all knows, Harbor Fright will sell you a wirefeed welder for

90 bucks. Not something you'd want if your livelihood depended on it, but for the occasional job it's OK. They've also got a nice little compressor-driven brake bleeder for 25 or so if you've got a compressor--don't get the one with the hand pump though.
Reply to
J. Clarke

You guys are wrong.

The worst mosquitos were in Las Animas CO in the 60's.

Me a school pal went jackrabbit hunting and camped out overnight. I woke up to a strange noise and peed out.

There was a mosquito adding on another section of pipe to get to us from outside the tent . . . . . . .

Reply to
C.L. "Budd" Cochran

I use the Harbor Freight hand vacuum pump and if you leave a little fluid in the cup to cover the end of the tube, it works fine.

If you were manually bleeding with a hose and cup, you'd want the hose end covered also.

Of course, speedbleeders eliminate the problem altogether. Just a hose and a cup and pump the brakes ( keep the master cylinder topped off of course).

Reply to
C.L. "Budd" Cochran

LOL! One foggy night at Camp Eagle, RVN we were dug in near a helicopter refueling pad. The pad crew thought an OH-1 had landed. They pumped 200 gallons of JP4 into the damn thing before they realized it was a mosquito.

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

Aw shucks, thats nuttin. The real skeeter giants live in Alaska. Why, one landed during a blizzard and before the SAC ground crew realized their mistake, they had loaded a nuke into the thing and it took off out over the pacific.

Reply to
Lon

So ... how far did it fly and what Mach number did it hit?

Reply to
C.L. "Budd" Cochran

Was that the one that took out Bikini Atoll?

Reply to
C.L. "Budd" Cochran