97 ZJ 5.2 oil filler won't come off

Bizarre. Went to top up the oil just now and the filler won't open. It just turns and turns and turns and occasionally goes "click".

I presume I get a new filler cap, bust the knob off the old one, and then go after the remains with pliers, but does anybody have any other sage advice?

Reply to
J. Clarke

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

turns and turns and turns and occasionally goes

Try pulling up and pusing down when you turn it. Sometimes a bit of hose wedged under gives it enough bite. Otherwise....

That's about it. Sometimes a pair of channel-locks can put enough of a squeeze on the plastic the guts stop turning. If not just carefully pry the plactic bit off the top then undo the metal part with some pliars.

Reply to
DougW

turns and turns and turns and occasionally goes

I ended up doing that--there's no metal part though, two plastic ones and a spring and 10 bucks to the auto parts store.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Guess everything is becoming plastic these days. Even seen intake runners in plasic. Wonder how long it will be till someone makes plastic exhaust parts. :) neh, probably not.

Reply to
DougW