this total bullshit newsgroup

OK: Unfortunately, by the time one killfiles the top-posting twits and the OT political dweebs, there remains precious little reason to continue to monitor this group. Frankly, I for one could care less about some stranger's childhood timidity or his twisted socio-political viewpoint. In my view, those topics are best kept to talk radio and quackology teevee. At any rate, can someone direct me to a forum in which the actual topic of discussion really *is* care/maintenance of Toyota automobiles?

Reply to
Derald

What a way to make yourself feel right at home! Alienate just about everybody right off the bat! Good work!

Top posting used to be De Rigeur, so you didn't have to wade through the entire post to get to the new addition. But, that was back in the 80's, when people had brains and didn't need an interactive diagram to tie their shoes.

As far as your 'monitoring the group', no need! We can monitor ourselves quite nicely thanks!

And ponder this one, Univac: why do you suppose it's called a "Group"?

Now, if you care to exit and re-enter without the Shoulder Chip, feel free! Otherwise, I'll let Scott tell you...

Reply to
Hachiroku

If you post your car-related question it will probably be answered. Otherwise you can visit these forums:

alt.autos.toyota.camry alt.autos.toyota.prius alt.autos.toyota.trucks alt.autos.toyota.mr2 alt.autos.toyota.celica

There are also many web-based ones you can check. I subscribe to SiennaClub.org

If your purpose of making this post is to complain then be prepared to see nothing change. Almost all of us have done what you are doing and eventually joined in.

Reply to
badgolferman

If you can't beat them, join them. Nuff said. I don't seem to recall you ever having contributed anything of value to help the cause that you are so loudly advocating. Oh yeah, I can already tell you are a dumbass, but do you suppose that the next time you want to post OT BS, you could mark your post as being OT. It's common courtesy. Thanks.

Reply to
Reasoned Insanity

Actually, top posting follows normal email convention. Open an email message and Reply. You'll see that you are queued up to top post by default. Frankly, this makes much more sense in a newsgroup than bottom posting because you get the discussion in one post, and the replies to the discussion in the following posts, and those following along should be able to remember what the discussion is, and focus on the replies.

I perfer to killfile those that use the word "twit" in a sentence than to kill file those with valid points to make, but do it contrary to accepted ettiquette. I find it far more important that everybody in a particular thread post using the same scheme -- whether top posted or bottom posted -- than to observe some ill considered "rule".

Come back when you can't stay so long ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I don't recall anyone twisting your arm to make you subscribe to this newsgroup, so perhaps the quicker you quit, the better off we'll ALL be. Don't let the door hit you in the ass as you leave.

Reply to
mack

Try "alt.conceited.dolt"

Reply to
Dante

HEY! That was supposed to be Scott's line!

Reply to
Hachiroku

Oh Derald:

Your kind shows up occasionally on this NG. I'm just glad it's occasionally. Relax and lighten up a bit, or buy a book and read it. In that way you won't have to deal with other humans and insult us.

Regards...

Derald wrote:

Reply to
nowhere

Top Poster! ;P

Reply to
Hachiroku

Jeff Strickland top-posted:

So what?

Frankly, only idiots think so. (So no surprise that you do.)

An email string, where both parties are intensely aware of the discussion, cannot be compared to USENET threads, fool. Even in emails, top-posting is often inadequate.

Idiot. Quality, point-by-point discussions are impossible with top-posting.

Reply to
dizzy

If our resident net wizard dizzy AKA Troll, Moron, Idiot, Twit, Dumbass, Dumbshit, Bigot, Engineer and proven pathological liar, says so it must be correct LOL

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Twenty years ago, top posting was the norm.

I guess we all had better memories then...

Reply to
Hachiroku

Liar.

Reply to
Gary L. Burnore

Most newsreaders were set up to top post, and most people DID top post rather than go through what they had already read...again...and again...and again...

Reply to
Hachiroku

No, the place the cursor pops to when the reply screen opens was never meant to be a rigid "Start Here" edict. Inline Posting and Bottom Posting have long been the preferred methods. Top posting has never been "the norm" except in certain very specific instances.

It's a matter of Netiquette - This is a discussion group, we're not playing Jeopardy and my name is not Alex Trebek. The Question always comes before the Answer, not after it.

If there are multiple questions or statements you want to answer, you answer them inline, as they are asked. Break a paragraph and reflow the pagination if necessary.

If there's a lot of irrelevant old text you remove it, so you don't end up with 500-line bloated messages running around. Place tags if you want to show things have been removed.

You always snip off eighteen appearances of the same two long .sigs if nothing else. That'll make them jump past 500 lines real fast.

You don't quote the entire 500-line novel just to stick "Me Too" on the bottom. That's the one time a top post is acceptable - along with a warning of "no new text below" if you MUST quote the entire thing, so people don't have to go through to check.

And you make darned sure you have your attributions right. That's a hanging offense.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Do bottom posters go to the last entry in a thread and read up to the first one? Do they repeat this process every time someone adds a new entry at the bottom of a thread?

Curious top poster...

Reply to
Jack G

What, trimming was not allowed back then?

Reply to
dizzy

Jack G top posted:

Of course not, moron.

You must mean idiotic top poster. (Redundant, I know)

Reply to
dizzy

Or not-quite-so-well-developed systems... Not all of us want to stick with 20-year-old tech when something better comes along.

Reply to
Andrew Stephenson