Time to find a new9er) Cherokee

My faithful 1996 XJ has 230K miles and it is starting to fade, so I'm in the market for a newer Cherokee. The old one has the 4.0L, auto, and the Fulltime/Parttime transfer case.

It looks like the Grand Cherokee is my only valid choice, but I know jack- shit about their features. I like the 4.0L engine, the amount of rush- hour driving that I do calls for an auto transmission. I do want to be able to use the 4WD on the highway in horrible New England weather. I do a little bit of light towing (motorcycle on a trailer, for example) from time to time. I don't have time to go off-road these days -- this is strictly transportation.

What should I look for for features? What should I run, screaming, from?

Thanks.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

I'm struggling with similar replacement of a 95 ZJ which is almost as long in the tooth as I am. It has about one more major tick me off annoyance before it gets a new owner.

Personally, I would either go for the 2012 Mercedes based Grand or a

2004 series Overland/Limited if I do decide to retire old paint. The 2005 series In My Non Humble Opinion couldn't decide if they were Jeeps or Land Rover pretenders. The newest model is a reasonable Range Rover pretender, but a couple rentals I've driven somewhat underwhelmed me.

The 4.7 V8s aren't all bad, if you are looking for flex fuel, the 2004

4.7 HO V8 will move the Grand along reasonably well, and it still has solid axles. That series also has the odd gerotor based 4wd setup, and a somewhat extra kick down gear for passing that the 93 ZJ series lacked.

The ZJ series is pretty cheap used, as long as it is in good shape and the electronic gewgaws all work. The speedometer will go nuts somewhere in the 140K mile range, easily fixed by removing the dash cover and soldering the durn thing. The automatic climate control systems can be a problem and expensive to work on. The 4.0 in the ZJ *seems* faster than the one in the Cherokee--and what the heck you could always toss in a Monster Forged 4.9 if you want to hunt Mucking Fustangs.

The next newer series isnt that much more expensive, even top of the line Overland HO V8s top out at under $10K around here. These somewhat look like a ZJ someone overinflated IMNHO, but are very serviceable Jeeps for anyone but hardcores.

For the 2005 series you'll see a pretty good price bump, and the only thing I can see of value in them is the multi-displacement Hemi. Partial independent suspension, and none of the variable height stuff of the current models.

Reply to
Lon

Thanks for the advice. My target price is around $6K, which puts me somewhat fuzzily in the the 2000-2006 range, depending on options, mileage and the owner's idea of value. Good tip about the gages.

Were there different transfer case offerings in that range? My current ride (1996) offers both 4WD full-time and 4WD part-time selections, the

1997 that I had briefly didn't have 4WD full-time, only part-time. I'm not sure I want to be doing 70 in part-time even if it is on a rainy road.

I'd really, really like to have one of the 4-door Wranglers, but they're too new for my purse.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

On my 98 Cherokee that I bought new and my first jeep, I had the dealer replace the part time transfer case with a rebuilt select trac transfer case. I figured I would be keeping it a long time and felt it was worth the extra cost. The full time option is very handy.

I was surprised at jeeps decision not to have the full time option available in the new 4 door wranglers.

Larry

Reply to
Larry

On my 98 Cherokee that I bought new and my first jeep, I had the dealer replace the part time transfer case with a rebuilt select trac transfer case. I figured I would be keeping it a long time and felt it was worth the extra cost. The full time option is very handy.

I was surprised at jeeps decision not to have the full time option available in the new 4 door wranglers.

Larry

Reply to
Larry

With the 231/242 exchange, the full-time 242 is a little longer so the drive shaft is shorter. It's only a couple of inches but several folks tried to swap the 242 into short wheel based models wound up with drive line vibration and lots of problems. I was going to put a 242 in my 88 MJ when I swapped in an AX15 in place of the BA10 but I got in a hurry and didn't have time to get the driveshaft shortened.

That length was the reason given for never offering the 242 in the YJ.

Reply to
Will Honea

Thanks for that update. I read previously about the vibration problem with the shorter wheel base. I didn't realize the newer transfer case was longer. Fortunately the swap of the command trac for a select trac on my 98 Cherokee used the existing drive line.

Larry

Reply to
Larry

Your range puts you out of anything newer than the 2004 models, and is higher than a ZJ series should be going for unless you go for the 5.9 liter special v8.

Yes, there were multiple transfer cases offered pretty much across the line, the later 2000-04 series top of the line was the one with the gerotor that controlled the front/back split. Same series also had the kick down gear that was just above 4th, for passing allegedly. Towing and smog checks are an issue with the full time, as you cannot get to 2wd.

Even a 95 ZJ with the all time 4wd has no trouble freeway cruising at 90 mph in some really crappy weather conditions. A function of tires, where the Michelin M+S or ATX2 are hard to beat for summer unless you need hardcore trail crawling. In winter, I chicken out and use 3 row studded premium snows.... as 4wd aint 4wheelstop.

Reply to
Lon