Is Jeep cherokee a reliable vehicle?

heh.....i _wish_ my rubicon got the mileage that my wifes cherokee gets. on the matter of reliability however, as much as i like her cherokee here is what i posted recently concerning this very issue.

Nathan Collier

I am going to buy a 4x4 suv for Canadian's winterdriving, I like the classic style of cherokee (not grand cherokee), does anybody know this is a reliable vehicle or a crap? I heard it has bad gas mileage.

TIA

Herb

Reply to
Herb Wu

I've got a 2000 Cherokee and it's been great for me. Mileage isn't as good as my old Civic but not much is. If you drive conservativly it isn't bad.

Mort

Herb Wu wrote:

Reply to
Mort

Our 88 is just about to roll over 300,000 km and has been a good vehicle.

I have had to replace normal wear and tear things, but nothing unusual.

We get around 24 US mpg or something like 9 or 10L/100 km. The worst we ever got was fully loaded with 4 adults, duffle bags on the roof and packed to the doors and that was 11L/100km or 19 US mpg.

Mike

Herb Wu wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Well according to the 2003 Canadian used car sellers guide it gets similar fuel mileage to alot of the newer (designed and technology) imports with smaller engines. When I find the book again I'll post some figures.

Snow....

Reply to
Snow

"Herb Wu" wrote in news:dmXvb.23059$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com:

My 1988 AMC Jeep Cherokee was a smoldering pile of dung. I swore I'd never drive another Jeep again. But I have a half dozen or so friends who drive

95-2003 Cherokees who swear by them. They convinced me the brand was worth looking at agian, and I just traded my 01 Explorer for a 03 Liberty. Color me impressed.
Reply to
Barry Bean

My '93 I-6 auto gets about 17 mpg highway. Not horrible by SUV standards, but certainly not great either. My friend with a '00 I-6 auto seems to do somewhat better...

As for reliable, the engine and tranny are very reliable, but some of the other parts are undersized or cheap. With an older truck, expect a constant stream of oil leaks and minor part failures.

Reply to
Monte Castleman

I sell Jeeps here in the U.S., I'd say that the Jeep Cherokee is the most reliable and long lasting of all Jeep products, I've been selling Jeeps for four years and an enthusiast for six years...

Reply to
Kevin O'Brien

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

The only thing that I heard sucks with Cherokees is when they get up in miles and the uni-frame construction gets loose producing more death wobble than usual or something like that. IOW not having a solid frame like the CJ, YJ, TJ it would be second best in my book.

Reply to
Peter Parker

If squeaky reads the group, I'm sure his boss does too. LOL!!!

Test drive a Rubicon and get a free hot dog everybody!!!

Reply to
Peter Parker