Tinny harmonic type noise

Et All, I have a 2000 TJ six cylinder that's developed a loud but intermittent tinny sounding noise/vibration which sounds like it's coming from the right rear of the vehicle. It's especially noticeable as I shift throught the gears. I have checked the tail pipe, muffler, and catalytic converter and all appear to be ok with no rubbing or loose parts. I'm starting to suspect the heat shield that runs between the tail pipe and body only because it's the only flimsy looking tinny part in that area. Anyone else ever had this problem? Is the heat shield hard to replace. Thanks Joe Carroll

2K-TJ

There are some simple truths...And the dogs know what they are." Joseph Duemer

Reply to
Joe Carroll

You probably do not need to replace the heat shield, all you need do is reform it a bit. You can usually hit it, or around it, and make it rattle if that is the problem. If it is rattling, sometimes a bit of pursuasion with pliers or a large screwdriver will change its mind.

Reply to
J Strickland

You know, Joe, the UJoints make a tinny kind of noise ...

Reply to
J Strickland

Thanks, the u-joints are only 6 months old but worth checking again. I'm starting to notice some body vibration along with the noise so that could definitely be causing both issues. Joe Carroll