Tires and Wheels - 95 Cherokee

I'm saying when we're driving my daughter's 86 CJ7, people not only wave, they get out of the way

- when we're in my Cherokee, they ignore us...

That's why we're thinking of putting little CJ decals on the side for all the times I've had to go rescue her cause her CJ wouldn't start (it's a driving project rig, so far more project than driving...)

Just can't get no respect!

Cheryl

=================================

Reply to
Cheryl

Hmmm - one of the reasons I love this Cherokee sooooo much and want to keep it forever is we bought it in Germany when we were stationed there (American spec, though) and it's been on the Autobahn with the speedo pegged. Wild ride!

But I can't do that here... :(

Cheryl

PS - thanks for the pics - those wheels do look nice...

==================

Reply to
Cheryl

Talking to myself again here -

So no one seems to think the 16" wheels will work

- I should stick with 15s.

OK - thanks for all the feed back and suggestions, I'll look around and see what I can find.

Oh, yeah - what about the rim width thing - what happens if you put a tire recommended for 6-7" rims on an 8" rim? Does it blow up or what?

Cheryl

Reply to
Cheryl

Says who? ;-) (Not saying that *I've* had my speedo pegged before!) (Not saying I *haven't*, either) :p

[snip]
Reply to
noneofyourbusiness

Cheryl

I have 8" factory aluminum wheels from a 2000 Wrangler on my Cherokee. They just barely clear the inner fenders and springs, and I do mean barely. Even with them located in the perfect position and running 30" tires, they will still touch the rubber fender liner on the rear when the Jeep is carrying a load. Just barely and only on bumps, but they do touch once and a while. The 8" wheels are just too wide, in my opinion you should stay with 7" and even then you had better be SURE the backspacing is the same as the stock wheels or you will have a problem.

Good luck, Bruce

Reply to
Highcountry

The proper rim width is important to get a proper 'footprint' from the tire which gives the best traction.

If you have too wide a rim, it pulls the sidewall apart which puts the outside edges of the tire on the road the hardest which causes the edges of the tires to wear down prematurely.

Too narrow of a rim and the center patch is bulging up which wears it out too soon.

In both cases you have a lot poorer traction than if the tire was planted flat on the road.

Mike

Mike Romain

Yes, you should stick with 15's you will have a better selection of tires and less money, if you put a tire on a rim that is to wide for the tire than the tire wont seal properly.

Reply to
abomb69

With that thought in mind, then why do dragsters run massive slicks? They sure as heck aren't using a 9 or 10 wide tire, maybe in the front.?

I understand the less wide tire on dirt, sand etc. Just not street.

Bill you around to answer that one?

Reply to
ULB

I'm sure Bill has more info and pictures but that, I believe, goes back to the increased contact area in the specialty low pressure tires as they deform.

It seems to me that the two shouldn't really be compared as the construction and pressure and well as the terrain and use is so radically different.

-br

Reply to
billy ray

Mike likes a narrower tire to fall through the snow on to the pavement below. I believe in a kind of jet propulsion, pound per pound to move my Jeep up the sand hill:

God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III