wheels/tires help

i just bought a 95 miata that has american racing spyder ar-55 (to the best of my knowledge) and a different make 205/50/15" tire on each wheel... i am not sure of the exact size of the wheels and am guessing that they are 15x7 or 15x6.5. any tips on how to confirm the each size would be my first question. also i want to replace the tires, and possibly the wheels. i am not a speed demon and in choosing a tire i would put safety (sticking/braking) first, comfort/quiet second, and handling third. after some reading i get that the 15" wheels have the advantage of better handling performance and no shimmy at high speeds, but at the cost of a harder ride. i am thinking that perhaps i should just put 195/50/15 toyo t1-s on the existing rims because they are so highly regarded, so cheap at onlinetires.com ($59 each), and i think the current 205's look too fat. but i wonder if they are appropriate for the current rims, and if i am perhaps foolishly giving up some sticking power that i am gussing comes with a wider

205 tire? or perhaps i should just get some used oem 14" rims and stick to the oem sized tires. what would you do? all comments welcome. thanks in advance!
Reply to
miata newbie

The size should be molded into the wheel somewhere, possibly on the rim behind the spokes. It doesn't matter, though--195/50-15 is the right tire, and will work fine on either wheel width.

None of those is necessarily true. Tires and balancing skill make the difference.

When I switched from 14" to 15", I could feel no difference in ride or handling. I did it because 15" tires are cheaper and offer more choice.

OK, I like the looks, too.

Good move, as long as they never see snow or ice. Emphasize NEVER.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Lanny, Thank you for your comments and giving me confidence to go with the

195/50/15. Unfortunately they will see some snow (currently 12"). Not that I intend to drive in the snow but I would hate to think that it would be impossible. Any suggestions as to what might be the next best 195/50/15 choice for me that could handle occasional snow. Thanks.
Reply to
miata newbie

If you're *very* careful, an all-season tire will probably get you home in one piece; it's not something most folks would do for fun. The best is probably the Bridgestone RE950. But for reliable snow and ice grip, you'll need four true winter tires, such as Bridgestone Blizzak, Dunlop Graspic, Toyo Observ, or Nokian Hakapelliita.

Consider that the cost of four winter tires on steel wheels is probably less than your collision deductible. Alternatively, for that money you could buy a ton of bus tickets or a fair number of cab rides.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

is there something special about the miata (light weight, short wheel base) that requires high end tires, or are they just appropriate because the car can handle so well? i have only owned a civic crx and a corrolla before and found them to ride well year round on mid rage tires purchased from big chain stores like costco. the brigestone re950 does not seem to come in

195/50/15 and are also quite pricey. as an alternative would a toyo proxes 4 (same low price as t1-s) or a falken ziex ze-512 (super cheap, but have read some negitive comments about them in this group) be ok as year round tires? am i just not yet getting that this car should really have a summer and winter set of performance tires to be truly enjoyable? thanks again.
Reply to
miata newbie

Nothing special, just that anything less wastes a significant part of the car's potential. I just put a set of Yokohama Avid T4s on our beater Accord; it's a decent $40 all-season ($67 in your size) that rides smoothly and quietly, handles predictably in any weather, should last

30-40k miles, but isn't particularly grippy or responsive. It also looks kinda wimpy, with skinny shoulders. It'd be OK for a commuter Miata, but disappointing if pushed hard.
Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Yes: the drivers.

:)

Reply to
Grant Edwards

For what it's worth, I got a set of Falken Ziex 512s a couple months ago and I'm very happy with them. They're not high performance, but grip pretty well on dry and very well in the rain. As a bonus, they give a fairly soft ride.

Just to qualify, I'm not a tire guru like some of these guys. I'm just a guy with a Miata that I love.

Reply to
Dave

One major difference is that the CRX, and maybe the Corolla, depending on what year it was, was front wheel drive, meaning that the weight was primarily over the tires providing the traction and the same tires provided the directional control. Any rear wheel drive car is somewhat less likely to go where you point it in the snow than a front wheel drive car, not that that can't be fun :).

John (94 Miata)

Reply to
John McClary

thanks again everyone. lanny, i appreciate you clear advice. grant, very funny. i like that. dave, i am just a guy that like his miata too and your comment has helped me make a decision. john, you are spot on with the front wheel drive comment. i should have thought of that. makes perfect sense. i have decided to get a set of the falken ziex 512 put on the existing rims. i figure that it will address the immediate issue with the multi brand tire setup that i currently have, and help me get through the winter as well as buy me some time as i get to know the car (other necessary major repairs might surface). if i feel they disappoint then i will purchase a new set of rims and the toyo ts-1 (or the yokohama es100 if the toyo's are no longer made) and then use the ziex 512 and rims for the winter. new rims would make the car look fresher too, and i won't feel bad about using the old rims during harsh weather. thanks again everyone. a very enjoyable newsgroup thanks to all the great contributors.

Reply to
miata newbie

I hope the Ziex work out for you. I found that they work best for me with a few more PSI than I ran in my previous no-name tires. I run 30 PSI in the Ziex and ran 27 previously. The Ziex felt "squishy" at 27 but fine at 30.

Also...

I traded in my beloved '87 CRX for my even more beloved '97 Miata. The CRX was fun and had the advantage of being able to carry my racing bicycles in the back. Then my wife went and got an Accord and we put on a bike rack and hey! I graduated to a real sports car!

Have fun!

Reply to
Dave