Torque Flight Trans 727 rear seal help

I yanked a leaky trans for a rebuild on a TF 727 off a wagoneer.
turns out the tail housing rear seal machined surface where the seal
inserts and seal mates up has a minor gouge on the inside diameter going to the outer area, which causes a very annoying leak (even with a brand new seal). Obviously someone jacked up a rebuild prior to this.
I priced out a tail housing at a salvage yard, they want 100 bucks. Well, isn't there cheaper way to fix this. I.e., RTV/silicone or JB weld or something similar?
Thanks for any input and directions would be nice like; Spread a 1/4 bead (of whatever) around inside diameter of tail housing 1/2" before base, then let sit for 60 seconds, then insert seal. etc.
Thanks for any help or input. I don't want to rip it out again. LOL.
I am having trouble picturing this. Is the gouge in a flat piece or in a bore that the seal sits in? Either way, if you can fill the gouge with silicone or a similar product, making sure it is compatible with ATF, and there is some mechanical assurance that it won't fall out during assembly or later, well then it should seal the leak. Stuff that you buy for windows and doors, for example, isn't necessarily compatible or resistant to ATF.
If you decide to use JB Weld or a similar epoxy based product, make sure the part is totally clean before applying it, and that the product is totally set before you machine or sand it. These products work fine if they are trapped in place during the final assembly, not so well if they have to provide their own mechanical support. The same applies to silicone.
Earle

Hi Earle,
Thanks for responding. Kills me how hard the english language is to just describe the simplest things. :)
The seal is actually placed into a 2" (or close to) "smooth" bore Within the tail housing. Think of it like a mini cannon that has been machined or even a small engine cylinder. If you were looking directly down the bore, the scratch would come straight from the back end to the front, at a small angle. The gouge isn't all that deep maybe a few thousands but enough for the seal to leak even with a new seal. Almost looks like someone used a claw hammer to pull the seal, and inadvertently scratched the clyinder/bore.
Hope that is a better description. I doubt it.
Take care,
Thanks again.
ULB wrote:

Does it look like this?
http://www.frederickdodgemoparspeedshop.com/catalog/sealy.jpg
That is an excellent description. Someone used a metal puller or a screwdriver to get the seal out.
You can try an anaerobic gasket maker like Loctite(R) Gasket Maker 518 Anaerobic or Permatex 51813 Anaerobic Gasket Maker
The surfaces must be clean of oil/fluid. Use just enough to fill the scratch and not leave voids when you press in the seal. Once the seal is in and the gasket maker will take time to set. I suggest waiting overnight before filling with transmission fluid.
--
DougW

That looks like the two wheel drive seal. The big rubber piece fits around the slip yoke. The reddish metal piece is actually covered with paint.

It happens all the time. Usually the paint takes care of it. This must be a deep scratch.

My favorite is Permatex High Tack 98H Item # 80062. It's red and smells of lacquer. The can says it can handle transmission fluid and "allow to set a few minutes before assembly". The best product is going to depend on the exact depth of the gouge.
Earle

A real pity someone's got to take a chisel or screwdriver and drive into the case rather than in the collapse the seal direction. Or use a hook and slide hammer. Is it in the hub shown at number five in: http://www.billhughes.com/temp/91jeep727trans.pdf ? There's no pressure, a little silicone like Earle suggested should work. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@billhughes.com