1966 Dodge 727 Trans

Hello all. I have a '66 Charger with the 3 speed 727 automatic, POLY 318 engine. Since I have had the car, I have noticed that "passing gear" doesn't work unless you floor the gas pedal. I have adjusted the kick-down linkage until the shift points were: 1st: 25 mph 2nd: 40 mph, and still have to floor it to achieve "passing gear." So, I adjust the linkage until the shift points were 15 and 25, adjusted the kick-down band to the factory service manual specs, and still no change; floor it to achieve passing gear. Is this a characteristic of a transmission from this era or is there another problem? It is a pain when you turn a corner and take off in third gear goin 15 mph when most newer versions of this trans downshift to 2nd. Also, the trans had a tune-up (bands adjusted, fluid changed) about 10K miles ago.

Any thoughts?

Nick

95 Vision Tsi 66 Charger
Reply to
N.Cass

That's right. That's the way it's supposed to work in a '66. The part-throttle 3-2 kickdown function was not added until '68, and it was not standard across the line until '69. If you really find it annoying, you can swap-in a '69-'76 727 valve body assembly.

DS

Reply to
Daniel J. Stern

daniels right thats the way they operate

. you can put in a b&m shift kit......helped my 68

Reply to
robs440

That is exactly how it is supposed to work. "Part throttle kickdown" wasn't added until about 1970, starting with the smallest engines (slant sixes, then 318) and progressing through the big-blocks over a couple of years. You can swap in a post-1972 or so valve body to get part throttle kickdown if you want it. But part throttle kickdown can be a pain in the butt with some engine/car comibinations for various reasons. I put a newer valve body io my '69 440, and went screaming back to the original valve body because an un-intentional kickdown as you roll on the throttle through the middle of a curve can be a real handful with the torque of a 440! I swapped it over to my '66 383 car which is a lot heavier and I like it fine on that one, except that it would get "indecisive" occasionally and downshift for about 1/2 second. TransGo makes a shift kit that fixes that too.

Reply to
Steve

It still wasn't across the line in '69, I know that much for sure. I think 72 or 73 was the first year it made it onto ALL Chrysler cars. I didn't realize that the sixes got it as far back as '68, they took longer to phase it in than I realized.

Reply to
Steve

Thanks all for the information. I just wanted to make sure it was working correctly. This car is mainly a sunday driver so I am not too concerned about switching valve bodies. I can deal with manually shifting it into second if needed :)

Thanks again!

Nick

Steve wrote:

Reply to