Towing question.

On TJ unlimiteds, why is the automatics tow rating bumped to 3500 but not the standard? I have an 06 Rubicon Unlimited manual and would like to pull a pop-up trailer that needs the 3500 rating.

thanks, brett

Reply to
Brett

I don't think DC believes anyone can tow over 2000 lb with a standard transmission and not burn the clutch out....

Mike

Mike Romain

I think it's because the autos have a transmission cooler.

RAC

Reply to
RAC

Reply to
doane_nut

Wranglers over here are rated 2 tonnes with a braked trailer.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Milne

That would be a standard transmission? High speed evasive maneuvers are going to be problematical with a short wheelbase vehicle and a two ton trailer, brakes or no. Last night a whole family decided to cross an unlit section of highway in front of me, 55 mph speed limit, all dressed in black except for shoes. There must have been six of them. Christ. Over here we have people suddenly change lanes or apply the brakes for no reason, irregardless of who or what is following them.

I think you could pull the trailer, but getting it around these types is going to be a problem.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Yes, thats with the manual. I would not tow 2 tons in a Wrangler at 55 mph for the reasons you describe, but it is technically rated for it. Might do it if I was going around town at 30mph I guess, but basically I bought the longer wheelbase and stronger axled Disco 2 for towing.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Milne

I have a 2005 Rubi Unlimited with automatic and tried to just put one of the basket type carriers in the receiver hitch. With just a 100 quart Igloo cooler and a couple of small logs (for my camp fire). My Unlimited headlight were star gazing. My guess would be 250 lbs tongue weight at most. I do not think it will pull if there is tongue weight over 100 my guess. The extra space behind the wheels plus the tongue extension just creates too much leverage. My experience last week. Don

Reply to
Don Hamilton

Don, if you plan to use that cooler often, try putting a 1" coil spacer in the back. This should solve your problem.

Carl

Reply to
Carl S

Carl are you talking about the alum. type you can just twist in with a 1/2 drive?

Reply to
Don Hamilton

No, a poly spacer that goes on top of the coil spring, netting 1" of non-adjustable lift.

Carl

Reply to
Carl S