Rear axle noise '02 GC

I have an '02 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It is the "Overland" edition with the High Output 4.7 V-8 and Quadra Drive 4WD system.

I had the 60,000 mile service performed by my local jeep dealer just

600 miles back and in the last few days I've noticed a combination grinding, groaning, and vibration coming from the rear axle when turning tight turns at parking lot-speeds.

My owners manual calls for a "friction additive" to be added to the front and rear axles since my vehicle is equipped with the Quadra Drive 4WD system. My service records from the dealer state that they serviced the axles with standard gear lube, no mention of any friction additive.

Would the lack of a friction additive cause the problems that I'm having and is permanent damage being done? (I believe the axles are limited-slip on this model.)

Is it too late to add the friction additive now?

I'll be taking it back to the dealer on Monday and I want to know if they screwed up and if I'm in for a fight.

Thanks,

Concerned in PA

Reply to
Snowman

It sounds like you are correct, that the friction modifier was not installed.

What is happening is the VariTracs (part of QuadraDrive) are locking up before they are supposed to.... the FM makes the lube slipperier to prevent premature engagement.

You need to get the additive in there as soon as possible.

The extend of any damage depends on how often and hard the clutch packs have engaged.

I wouldn't suggest driving it anywhere in the meantime to prevent any further chance of damage, it would be best if the dealer were to send a flat-bed wrecker to pick it up.

At the very least they should pick up the towing charge and correctly change the lube with FM included this time. Be sure that they use the correct lube.

There is the further question as to whether any damage to the clutch packs was caused by their negligence, be sure that any paperwork clearly states this 'repair' was necessitated by their mistake.

It may be worthwhile to consider offering to pay a portion of the replacement clutch pack parts (parts only) while they pick up the balance of the parts, labor, and, of course, the replacement lube and FM.

If you have the towing package then Synthetic 75w-140 is the required lube (plus the FM additive).

Reply to
billy ray

Billy Ray,

Thanks for the info...I'm going to have them pick it up on Monday. Its been about 6 weeks and 600 miles since the service. I only began hearing the noises yesterday...but it is my wife's vehicle so I don't drive it too often. Hopefully there hasn't been any damage.

Ted

Reply to
Snowman

Reply to
philthy

Update for all:

The jeep dealer is replacing the rear axle. They didn't even argue about it...I applaud them for standing behind their service and their product.

Reply to
Snowman

Great news! What's the dealers name so that others know they act in good faith.

Reply to
DougW

I wouldn't complain but that sounds like using a sledge hammer to pound in a thumb tack. Failure to add friction modifier usually doesn't cause permanent damage. Adding the friction modifier usually fixes all problems, and even if it doesn't then all you would need is a new clutch pack. But hey, any way they want to stand behind their service is their business.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to