Trailer towing with Wrangler

I'm looking at late model Wranglers (2000 to 2006) but I think they are not rated to pull the weight of my boat and trailer which I tow twice a year to Florida and back to Michigan. THe boat and trailer weigh 2000 lbs (with brakes). Are there mods available for a Wrangler that will virtually double the safe towing capacity? Thanks

Roger

Reply to
ramjet44

Unless you have one with the 4-cyl engine, 2000 lbs should be within the towing capacity (3500 lb on Unlimiteds; 2000 on X, Sport, and Rubicon; 1000 on SE). Other than that, the weight & short wheelbase of the Wranglers is probably the biggest limiting factor...you don't want the boat to be driving you!

Reply to
TakeFlight

The point about the short wheel base should be well taken but also I would check what axle ratios you have because you do not want too do this with a 3.07 or 3.31 axle ratio regardless of factory rating. a

3.55 would be minimum with factory tires and if you plan to run oversized tires and tow you better be running a lot deeper still if you want decent towing performance and long drivetrain life.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Reply to
RoyJ

The short wheelbase is the limiting factor in the TJ's towing rating, as others have said. A 2,000# boat and trailer ain't so big, but for any kind of long-distance towing like what you are looking at, you should consider at the very least an '04-06 Unlimited, since it has a longer wheelbase than a standard TJ. I would say at this point I could sell you my 04 Unlimited, I even live in Michigan, but it's already sold.... :-)

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Just curious, how much did you sell it for?

roger

Reply to
ramjet44

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

hitch on the Wrangler. This should be able to handle max 2k lbs. Trust me, don't tow anything larger then that.

I tried to tow one of those dual-wheel Uhaul trailers down the street. It's scary!!! Even unloaded at 30mph, the Jeep felt like it would jackknife. I returned it after driving 1 mile down the road.

If you need to tow something larger, get the Unlimited which is longer and has more wheelbase for towing.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Hughes