trac-loc

How can I tell if I have one? I want to change the gear lubes. Will it hurt to just put in the friction additive any way.

Reply to
DeerSkull

It won't hurt to use a gear lube that contains a friction modifier if your axle doesn't have a Tracloc. 99.9% of all the gear lubes you can find on store shelves will already have that additive however so it's not necessary to add more.

To tell if you have > How can I tell if I have one? I want to change the gear lubes. Will it

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

In article , Jerry Bransford wrote: #It won't hurt to use a gear lube that contains a friction modifier if #your axle doesn't have a Tracloc. 99.9% of all the gear lubes you can #find on store shelves will already have that additive however so it's #not necessary to add more. # #To tell if you have one, jack up your rear axle and spin one of the rear #tires. If the other tire spins in the same direction, a Tracloc is #present. If the other tire spins in the opposite direction, you don't #have a Tracloc.... or possibly you have a Tracloc with a completely worn #out clutchpack. A label on the differential cover advising the need for #the additive is another indication of a Tracloc's presence.

You also might be able to find a metal tag bolted to the diff with the specs for the diff and or oil needed.

/herb

Reply to
Herb Leong

Thanks, I gave the wheel a spin and the other wheel spins in the opposite direction. I did find a tag on the diff cover does not say anything about trac-loc, I love this news group....... :-}

Reply to
DeerSkull