Transfer case options

OK............I bought an Atlas II awhile ago & haven't been able to install it yet (been working on my sons YJ, my wife's Explorer - then we bought a house & took over a month to move, then moved my son back home, my brother-in-law to an apartment, his wife to a house in sacto, etc, etc, etc) anyway - the shift knobs for the linkage say L & H for both the front & rear controllers. I just went to the advance site & it also mentions front wheel only in Lo. So why can't you use front wheel drive High???

Reply to
Carlo

My 49 Willys pickup has two levers for the transfer case. I once owned a '58 FC170. The xfer case had all the mountings on the housing for two levers, but instead some 'clever' mechanical engineer had made a thing sort of shaped like a "Y" that could pull and push and let one lever run through 2H-4H-N-4L. The gotcha was that 22 years later the linkage was a wore out piece of crap and would only go

4L->N->4H->That's all folks. I would have to get aout and crawl under the beast and wrassle the thing with a screw driver and really never knew if I had gotten back into 2H with out looking for rubber flying off the front tires. The '49 with its twin levers is intrinsically reliable and still works as well as when it rolled out of the factory.

I wish the new stuff they make would last so well.

Reply to
John Welch