tried to scam me!!

Anyone here watch, I think it was on 20/20 a few weeks ago, where over sees people were scamming USA people with their cars for sale online.

Well it was tried with me.

I posted my jeep online for sale a couple of days ago. I received a email today from a guy in the uk. between emails we somewhat negotiated a deal (I was just doing it for kicks, it didn't sit well from the beginning, well duh he is from the uk I am in PA, USA.)

This is the bottom line of this story he emailed me.....

"Thanks for the details, I'm glad that we could come to an understanding on this tranction. I'm ok with the price and the condition of the 1991 Wrangler Islander So I will instruct my client in Us who owed me some money to make a bank certified cheque out of $9500 to you So you will deduct your payment for the 1991 Wrangler Islander and send the excess funds to my reliable and reliable shipping agent company via Western Union to ensure them to come for the pick up at your Location. My client needs following information to make you receive the cheque easily by courier services.

  1. Full Name on Cheque,
  2. Mailling Address,
  3. Contact home phone # including wireless phone#. Hope to read from soon. neyo"

What I saw on 20/20 was that these people send you a check for over the amount, you sign off your vehicle and give them the difference. International checks could take a month or so to clear meanwhile they got your car...Gee you think it will clear???

Cool ending...I replied

"Oh what the hell lets have alittle fun.......My client, ie my wallet, says to wire transfer the funds or come get it with cash and I will park the jeep until you can pick it up or have someone come and get it. Include your name and address and contact phone number so I can get the title ready for your purchase".

Cool huh

Tim Fisher

Reply to
Tim Fisher

Sounds very familiar to this story I read the other day.

fletcher

Tim Fisher did pass the time by typing:

Yep.

heh..

Either that or tell them it will take 30 days to process that wire order given that some people have used it for a scam. Either that or have them wire the money via Western Union. :) Of couse they won't.. but make them dance..

You could arrange to have them send the check to a drop-box then frame it and put it up for sale on e-bay. :)

Either way, alert the authorities in the UK. new.scotland.yard AT met DOT police DOT uk

Reply to
DougW

I had a SAAB 9000 for sale online a few months ago and got 3 different offers from these scam artists. It is always this same deal; that they will send you too much money and you are to send them the excess. By the way, the whole thing is a sham to get you to deposit their (bogus) check and then send them some of your (good) money. Nobody ever actually shows up to pick up the car. That would be too dangerous for them (they probably suspect that you would already have alerted the authorities since even the the slowest witted among us can see through this ruse in a heartbeat).

Also, it appears that none of these guys (some even claim to be gals) is actually in England. They tell you that since all FedEx shipments to the US from Africa are scanned for the first time upon arrival to Heathrow airport in London. So from this end it appears they are in England when they are actually somewhere else (Nigeria comes to mind). This also explains their ineptitude in communication in the english language.

Here is some fun reading for you on the subject:

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.

So, maybe mail carriers in the UK use left hand drive Jeeps ;)

Reply to
TrailMarker