Turn signals and more don't work when it rains.

Ok I have a 90 jeep cherokee larado, and when ever it rains certain things don't work. Like if I have my lights on the turn signals won't work. If I have the radio, lights on, whenever I turn on the windshield wipers or the heat/AC on the radio will shut off. Any ideas? Everything works just fine when its dry out, it only does this when it rains.

Reply to
Rjb

Thast sounds like a classic case of a bad ground.

Reply to
Paul Calman

There is a massive ground wire splice above and a little forward of the left rear wheel well liner. There is a lighting power splice there also - check it out as well. Remove the interior trim piece for access.

Remove and _throw away_ any foam that is wrapped around the wires - it just traps moisture. Unwrap the electrical tape from all the the splices in that area. I'll bet yours are green with corrosion. My '91 splice was so bad that two of the ground wires just fell apart when I took the tape off. Replace any corroded wires with new and make sure the chassis ground connection is good.

I had all sorts of weird tail light problems before I finally found the culpret. Chasing a bad ground can be very frustrating!

John Davies Spokane WA USA

Reply to
John Davies

What would cause this to do it only when it rains. Everytime my jeep does this it totally drains the battery. This makes me think it has something to do with the alternator. But it only happens when it rains and gets really wet. It did it today and I had to get a jump, and the battery was so low that the lights would not work.

Reply to
Rjb

I can't help here, but bad grounds do really weird things,

John

Reply to
John Davies

Is the battery clean? Starter packed in mud? loose terminals somewhere?

Reply to
Paul Calman

The battery connections are good, the battery is 1 month old. Starter is clean.

Reply to
Rjb