Fiberglass bodies

I'm seeing a lot of older jeeps with fiberglass bodies. I guess the obvious reason for that is rust (and fear of rust) on the original metal. But I imagine there are disadvantages to having fiberglass too. What's the general opinion of them here? Better to get one with or without FG body, or does it really matter?

Reply to
Jay Stuler

Jeff

That would be one factor. Cost is another. A steel tub for a `67 through `83 CJ-5 costs between $2500 and $3500 and, since it is a "universal fit", you've got a couple of days of shop time making it fit your application. A basic `glass tub for the same Jeep costs $1300, $1900 for Kevlar.

Not all `glass tubs are well made, I've seen old ones delaminate at the wood inserts. Since there's no metal for a ground path, all electrical devices need a hard-wired ground. For one of the main reasons I went with steel over glass on my new tub, visit a Jeep boneyard. Glass bodies just shatter when they get hit.

You pays your money, you takes your chances, either way.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

I am sure that if I had a FG body, it would be pretty much toast by now. As it is, my metal body is bent in almost every flat place. Metal will bend out of the way, plastic will break off. You decide ...

Reply to
CRWLR