turning engine over *slowly* to find TDC

Hi. I'm gonna be installing a distributor in my 304 in the near future and will need to find TDC on #1 to do that. I know how to find TDC for #1 but I don't know how to turn the engine over nice and slowly... On my old VW I'd just turn the crank pulley by hand with the car out of gear and could turn the engine over like that. What's the trick on the larger motors like this one? Big socket wrench on the crank pulley bolt? Something like that? Jack up one rear wheel with Jeep in gear, 2WD and have someone slowly spin the rear tire while I'm finding TDC? What's the trick/procedure y'all use? Thanks!

"I can hammer it back into shape later." :wq!

Reply to
Shaggie

I use a socket wrench on the pulley with it in neutral, but lots of times if all the plugs are out I can just grab the fan belt and push or pull to turn it or have a friend do that while I keep my finger in the hole.

Mike

Shaggie wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain