Toyota quality

I would still buy a tacoma before i'd buy a ranger. even if they are double the price on the road.

My F150 vs. Tundra purchase dilemma has yet to be solved

Reply to
Picasso

That should not be a difficult decision, Ford sells a dozen times as many F150's, and has for 32 years. That should tell you what truck the fast majority of buyer always choose.

If you do decide to buy a Tundra anyway, don't go to a Toyota dealership. You can find lots of late model Tundra's that have been traded at Ford, Chevy, Dodge and GMC dealership and used Tundra prices are tumbling, because of Toyotas runaway problem.

If you want a brand NEW Tundra, find a friendly wholesaler and have him pick up one for you at one of the Manheim Auctions, around the country. They can be had there for as low as $25,000.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Ford doesn't sell half the pickups sold in the US. In fact, GM sells more pickups than Ford. So they are hardly a majority.

Reply to
dr_jeff

My reference was to the F150 as the worlds and America's best selling vehicle. Of course you knew that but In any event Ford outsold GM in total trucks in 2009. But you are correct, in prior years GM did sell more trucks than Ford with it TWO brands.

The same was true of cars. GM sold more cars than Toyota, but with more than one brand name of the grill but Toyota had the best selling single brand name, with the Camry.

Looks like even that may change as well, with all of Toyotas current quality problems. Honda was catching the Camry a few year back with the Accord, until Toyota started to calling the Solara a Camry Solara, to ward Honda off.

Even the name change was not doing as much as Toyota expected so they started dumping Solara's directly to the rental car companies for a song.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Maybe around the world, but not in the US. Ford sold about 470,000 pickups last year. GM sold about 485,000 pickups last year in the US.

Jeff

Reply to
dr_jeff

My reference was to full size trucks.

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Nice try. Ford sold less than 415,000 F-series trucks while GM sold about 427,000 Chevy and GMC full-size trucks.

Jeff

Reply to
dr_jeff

Why? My Fther owned Rangers for years. He has passed away, but Mother still has his last Ranger (1999 V6 4x4 Supercab). I drive it all the time. My kids beat the heck out of it (I've had to pull it out of mud holes so deep when you crawled out to dry gound you were looking down at the truck). In all that time, the only failure was an IAC valve, and that was fixed by a good cleaning. My SO's Father has a late model Tacoma. It is an OK truck, but cannot haul more than the Ranger, cannot tow more than the Ranger and despite being much larger on the outside, has a more cramped drivers seat and it cost 50% more. A couple of years back I replaced a very good 1992 F150. I didn't want a Ranger, and bought a Nissan Frontier instead (and I thought the Frontier was better than the Tacoma). After three years of driving the Frontier, I really came to appreciate how good the Rangers are. Still when I finally got fed up with the Frontiier, I went back to an F150, and am glad I did.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Reply to
Mike Hunter

According to todays Tribune Newspapers, the Chairman of the House Oversight Committee is stating Toyota will be asked about runaways problems with the Tacoma truck.

The NHTSA has received over 100 complaints about sudden uncontrolled accelerations problem on the Tacoma, their truck that does NOT use the same pedal assembly as the other recalled Toyotas.

The article also refers to Japans Transport Ministry releasing that their have been numerous complaints about "braking problems" with NEW generation Prius. Toyota admits they are addressing braking problems in previous Prius models but they are "unaware" of problems in the NEW generation Prius.

The ever growing issue over sudden uncontrolled acceleration in most every type of Toyota vehicle is having a sensitizing effect on consumers around the world and Toyotas confusing responses are not helping the situation. Curious ah?

Reply to
Mike Hunter