V8 5,2L Engine on Grand Cherokee '97

Hi,

I own a Grand Cherokee V8 5,2L engine. I've got 60,000 Miles. I'd like to know how much miles this kind of engine could do, because I've heard so many things on the engine fiability ? It won't prevent me to cruise in Jeep, even if in France the gas liter is around 1 Euro (US $ 1.25 per liter ----> US$ 4.75 per US Gallon !!!!!!!!) Hi from french friend

Jean-Marc

Reply to
JMG

JMG did pass the time by typing:

Hello from the U.S. and welcome to the newsgroup.

Might want to add the year of your Jeep.

The 5.2 is a strong engine and should last a long time. The only maintenance it will require is the timing chain and that has a service interval of 200,000 Miles ( 321,869 Km). Just remember to change the oil every 3000-4000 miles and it will last a long time. The number one cause of engine failure is dirty oil.

Here is what one person did to their ZJ.

Some other project sites
The 93 5.2 suffered from a intake problem. The intake runner on the throttle body restricted airflow. This was corrected in

  1. A good site with many links.

DougW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

"DougW" a écrit dans le message de news:hy0Fc.30081$Lh.12667@okepread01...

Hi Doug,

Thanks a lot for these informations and links. See you at my next question on this forum.

Thank again

Friendly

JMG

Reply to
JMG

Reply to
attnews

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Well, there's two versions of the 318. The '57 to '67 version is based (I think) on the Plymouth Polyspherical V8 of the 1950s and early 1960s.

It is substantially different from the one used after 1967, which is a bored out 273 of 1964, known far and wide as the small block Mopar. This

273 (A block ?) was the basis of the post 1967 318, 340 and 360, and is the engine on which the modern 5.7 in the Grand Cherokee and other Chrysler trucks is based.

It was used in millions of Darts, Valiants, Volares, Aspens, Polaras, Monacos, Furys, LeBarons, 5th Avenues, and the rest of Chrysler's later rear wheel drive cars. It is indeed a good engine, equivolent in most ways to the Small Block Chevy.

Does that make sense Bill?

Regards,

DAve

Reply to
DaveW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Here is a great description of the two engines.

Dick

Reply to
Dick

Great site. That clear it up!