Jeep Grand Cherokee headlights

I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee and the problem with the headlights is that there is some kind of film on them and I do NOT know what it is or how to get it off. When I get them wet they look like they are gonna be ok but a second later when they dry, it is that same old thick film on them and cannot hardly see out of them. Anyone else have this problem or know of anything I could use to try to clean them? Thanks!

Reply to
ky_jeep_girl via CarKB.com

If they're glass, try a Scotchbrite pad.

If they're plastic, get some Brasso or Meguiars plastic polish.

Reply to
yjarray

Reply to
Dick

"ky_jeep_girl via CarKB.com" wrote in part:

This is a widespread problem not limited to Jeep. Most cars with the newer plastic headlights suffer from it, and after a few years, night vision is severely compromised. The problem appears to be a change in the plastic caused by sunlight.

I have a 1999 Grand Cherokee and after trying all sorts of cleaners on the lenses, I gave up and bought new ones to the tune of $600. Junkyards had some Grand Cherokees with the right headlights, but they were just as opaque as mine.

After I replaced the headlight assemblies, I shattered one of the old ones (not easy!) and looked at the plastic lens from the edge. It was opaque all the way through.

Remember when you could buy a new glass headlight for about $5?

-- Jim Chinnis Warrenton, Virginia, USA

Reply to
Jim Chinnis

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

It's all about looking good coming off the assembly line. This all has me thinking that my wife is right about the headlights on our Civic. Damn.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

When was that? They have real headlights now, 12 volt electric and everything. :-)

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

When I used to work in a body shop, whenever someone came in with the plastic lenses, I'd buff them with the paint buffer and some compound, most of the time it would clear them up.

Troy

Reply to
Troy

What kind of polishing compound did you use? Foam or lambswool pad?

Reply to
Billy Ray

Haven't seen anything like that. I have seen quite a few of these though.

I saw a Ford Excursion last month. There are even motor homes. I think that the most annoying thing, are the motor scooters, that sound like a chain saw in the middle of the night. I could do without that. There may be more Jeep Grand Cherokees over here, than in the States. Not all of them are diesel, either. With gasoline over $1.50 a liter, how does that work?

I haven't driven much since I came here. I did drive from Madrid to the Basque Country, when I first came. I think now, that one of the reasons I came here, besides the Spanish courses, are the trains. You can take a train, almost anywhere. My son in law, who learned to drive in France, says that he is afraid to drive in the cities here. I have tried it, and I agree. I think that once I get done with school, I am going to rent a car, and drive to Galicia or maybe Portugal. The worst part is the exchange rate. When my daughter was here, a Euro was worth about $0.80. Now it's at $1.25. On the bright side, this means that you don't see many American tourists.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

"Troy" wrote in part:

According to my headlight post mortem, the compound I buffed with just removed the outer bit of opaque plastic. At first, it's only opaque on the outside surface. Later, the UV light reaches deeper and you are outta luck.

-- Jim Chinnis Warrenton, Virginia, USA

Reply to
Jim Chinnis

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

You did not enjoy the beer, brats, and frauleins?

Reply to
Billy Ray

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Foam pad with some light compound, 3m something i can't remember. It was a liquid compound and it was for light buffing I remember. I'm sure you could use anything, I've buffed cd's to get the scratches out with a small buff and some jeweler's rouge, came in a stick, light green. I'd figure that would work too.

Troy

Reply to
Troy

I am getting a degree in Spanish. I had to make sure that I could actually speak it. Last night, for kicks, I watched Rambo dubbed in Basque on the local TV station. You can't have much more fun that that. The women don't appear to wash, as you mentioned, but the seafood is great, even better than New England. I don't have class Friday, and somehow I talked my wife into paying all the bills and taking care of the house while I was gone. All I have to do is look at stuff, talk to people, and travel on the three day weekends. You could do worse. A trip along the coast after school gets out is what I am really here for. I want to visit a number of these

too. European cities are very much like prison, even worse than L.A. or Boston. This place is not so bad. It has open country around it, mountains near by, and is not far from the ocean. There is even hunting. I don't know what they are hunting, maybe pigeons. Perhaps Fidelio could shed some light here. They don't have sprawl like we have. They have apartment building sprawl, which takes up less space. Once you get inside the city limits though, you are for sure in prison.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I bought some stuff at the local parts store that says it guarantees to remove the yellowing on headlights. I can't recall the name of the stuff and I haven't tried it yet but will post up when I try it... You would think with todays technology that they could make them to avoid this. Kind of like the TJ flairs fading within the first year... it's a Jeep thing I don't understand...

Jeff

Reply to
4X4PLAY