v8

Will any V8 bolt up to my existing bell housing...I have a 87 Jeep YJ with an inline 258 -6....I have a chance to get a 302 for nothing and wonder if it will bolt up?

Reply to
Tony Green

Tony, That's a darn good question but sorry I don't have an answer. What I do have is an opposite question. I have a 318 cu in w/ under 100 k miles. I was wondering which model Jeep this might fit into best. Don't mean to butt into your inquiry but between the two of us I expect there will be a variety of answers, lol. Good luck, Steve

Reply to
popeyeball

Tony,

You can find most of the answers here.

Advance Adapters site and manuals have a lot of useful information, notonly about which parts fit, but also some philosophical material on why youmight want to do an engine conversion. I have found out from life, that youwant to find out why, before making any substantial investment of time,money, or energy. The Ford engine can be made to fit, but the engines thatwill "bolt up" are V8s made by American Motors Corporation. I once had the misfortune to be involved in an engine transplant into a Jeep. There are many parts that you need, in addition to bolting up the engine to a flywheel and bell housing. Unless you have the equipment, and like fabricating engine mounts, for example, it is better to use something that has been used (a lot) before. The best choice might be a late model Chevrolet V8, because of the large number of conversion parts which are available. One of the most amusing experiences was an engine mount bracket from J. C. Whitney, that was supposed to move the Chevy engine one inch to the right, to clear the steering box on the Jeep. After we bolted it up to the engine, damned if it didn't move the engine one inch to the left! A call to the vendor proved futile.

Steve, there is no reason to put a 318 into a Jeep, unless you want to prove, how clever you are, or that you have too much spare time on your hands.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Everything you need to know: