Ways around emssion laws???

Hi there. I have a '95 YJ that I am planning an engine conversion for. I purchased an '88 wrecked Ford Bronco with a 351W fuel injected for $250. I am planning the engine for the Jeep. While I am ripping all the wiring and emissions components out of the Bronco, I am seriously considering ditching the fuel injection and emissions stuff and going carbuerated. The only problem is I live in Joliet, IL where emissions testing catches up with you every couple of years. I would like to still be able to cruise around in the converted Jeep, but not have the hastle of emissions testing. Does anyone know a legitemet way to avoid such testing? (such as insuring the vehicle as a recreational vehicle or something) I would appreciate any help I could get. Thanks.

Reply to
big95yj

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Don't you think you'll get better performance and fuel economy out of the existing fuel injection system? Carbs are, evolution-wise, not much more than one generation away from a gas-soaked rag stuffed into a section of drain pipe, optimized for one engine speed, road condition and weather.

As for legit ways of avoiding emissions testing, no, I don't think that there are any. Individual state laws vary but what little about that that I know suggests that your vehicle /must/ comply. You could wait until the year 2020, when your YJ becomes an antique and (in some states but not all) is no longer subject to testing, but I'm guessing that that isn't what you wanted to hear.

Or you could not register the vehicle and simply trailer it everywhere.

big95yj wrote:

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

In the Peoples Republic of California, you will be REQUIRED to bring the older engine up to the standards for the year of your vehicle.

Basically, you have to use the emissions system for the newer of the engine or the make of the vehicle. If you put in a motor from a 2000 into your

1995, then you would have to carry the smog stuff over to retain the 2000 emission system. If you put in an older motor, then you have to bring it up to the smog standards in effect for 1995.

This is only true, as I understand the rules, if you plan to use the vehicle on the highway. If you are making a machine strictly for offroading, then you don't need to worry about smogging it.

Your reality may vary.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland