JK CRD

Saw a red JK Wrangler Unlimited today, it pulled in front of me in town. I noticed it had manufacturer plates on it and the initials CRD on the tailgate. This piqued my interest.

The driver turned into a parking lot and I followed and pulled up next to him (I happened to be driving the TJ). I didn't ask him what he did, but it's obvious he works at Cerberus-Chrysler. He told me it was a European spec diesel Wrangler (it did have the full front fenders) and the diesel, as far as he knew, would not be available in the States anytime soon.

Which is disappointing, but living in SE Michigan I see many developmental vehicles, and generally the drivers are engineers who are pretty good about not giving too much information. My thought is, if they aren't going to offer a diesel Wrangler in the States, why do they have the European spec diesel here now??

I wish I had gotten a picture. And no Mike or Bill, it didn't belch smoke or smell like a refinery.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

It has the 2.8L VM I-4 CRD that you've seen in the KJ Liberty, not a Mercedes diesel. Loads of torque but only about 160 HP.

The company I work for was quoting some parts on this program a couple of years ago, IIRC this powertrain is going to be offered in the USA in future model years.

As for why you see them driving around SE Michigan - these are either development vehicles or early line built pre-production vehicles getting thoroughly checked out before volume production begins.

reboot

Reply to
reboot

Hope you are wrong and they put the 210hp 376lb/ft torque 3.0 CRD from the Grand Cherokee in ! That would be nice.

Dave

developmental

Reply to
Dave Milne

Of course that was pre-Cerberus....

Well, yeah, didn't I already mention that?

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
philthy

I'm only about 5-10 miles from there, off Kent Lake toward South Lyon.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
philthy

Matt,

What you saw was indeed a European model Diesel Unlimited. That vehicle and a couple others are here for testing and are/were used for media launches. I was just with those vehicles at a European Jeep vehicle launch held here in the United States. I do not work for Chrysler/Jeep but an independant logistics company that works with them. I myself am a Jeep JK owner and I have questioned will there be an United States diesel Wrangler? At this time and in any near future time? No. Those Jeeps even need their fuel shipped here from Europe as they run on a high octane fuel diesel not available here. They do run very strong and have no trouble what's so ever accelerating. One of the problems is...most Americans just don't like diesels...period. They are unaware of the change these work horse engines have made. Some of the older drivers just can't let go of the terrible memories of the GM diesels (converted gas 350 cu. in. engines) of the late 70's and 80's. Too bad. I've driven the MBZ E320 cdi (BlueTec) and wouldn't even think of buying any other car in this catogory. It accelerates like a V/8 and is quiet and smokeless. And I have achieved 32 mpg in fast highway driving.

Maybe times and fuel costs will change the manufacturers minds...but for now...don't hold your breath for a U.S. Diesel Wrangler!

Mogman416

n May 30, 6:43?pm, "Matt Macchiarolo" wrote:

Reply to
bcmogman416

Mogman, is it possible I am the one that spoke to you? I was in a blue TJ, had my son with me, the driver of the JK was dropping his kid off at the orthodontist...

I was just with those vehicles at a European Jeep

Do you mean "cetane," since higher octane prevents pre-ignition in gas engines (i.e. "dieseling") and would defeat the purpose of the ignition cycle of a diesel engine?

They do run

Time for the OEM's to stop singing that tune. It's silly to base their marketing strategy on what happened thirty years ago, espcially with the state of the art technology that exists right now. Screw the older drivers, put the small diesels in cars with a younger clientele. If the US manufacturers, heck even the foriegn manufacturers, expand the market for modern diesels in the US, with gas prices what they are today I think they'd be pleasantly surprised with the results.

If BMW brings its European diesels to the US I'll be the first in line at the dealership.

I've driven the MBZ E320 cdi (BlueTec) and wouldn't

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

I saw today that GM will introduce a 4.5L V8 rated at 310 HP and 520 lb-ft of torque for the GMT900 vehicles.... and that Nissan is going to release an International V8 in the Titan pickups (I don't know about Armada but is would fit of course)

I really hope that Chrysler gets their act together, they need a 3 to

3.5 liter V6 CRD and a 4.5 L V8 CRD and a good 2L I4 CRD. All with competitive hp/L rating in the mid to upper 60's.

I have great hopes for clean diesel engines now that we have the low sulfur fuel.

Reply to
reboot

No, I was not the person you spoke with. My location with those Jeeps was quite far from where you mentioned before. Those Jeeps will either be headed back to Europe soon or crushed if they are pre-production test vehicles.

The BMW diesels are coming to the U.S. in about a year or so. I drove a X5 and 3 Series sedan about 2 months ago at a diesel media seminar. The BMW rep said that they were going to import them. Look also for Chrysler to bring out diesels in some of they're car lineup. Chrysler

300C for one is ready to go.

Reply to
bcmogman416

That's great news. Doesn't the GRand Cherokee have a diesel engine available now as well?

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Yes, a 3 liter turbocharged and it's not great news, diesels make me sick as a dog. Riding 5 blocks in almost anything diesel powered will have me puking my guts out....

Reply to
XS11E

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

I did ride in a 1982 Olds, as a matter of fact! Along with current Mercedes, VWs, etc.

Reply to
XS11E

Or any diesel burning Canadian fuel! The highest sulfur fuel in the world crap which is unbelievably gagging to follow...

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > Sounds like the last dieslel vehicle you rode >>
Reply to
Mike Romain

I'm told biodiesel smells different? I wonder if that would make me lose my lunch?

Reply to
XS11E

It does ... but not for the better. The bio I run in my Ram is 20% soy bio. It's "sharper" smelling.

Personally, I like the smell of diesel. That's why I own three of 'em. (well, and the good mileage and pulling power).

Craig C.

Reply to
Craig C.

US diesel is down to 15ppm, lower than European sulfur standards.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Check your exhaust back pressure, I bet you need the it's filter changed. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III