Converting a '94 V6 to a 5.0...

A guy I know works in a garage doing basically maintenance and inspections. The boss' nephew has a '94 V6 5-speed that he's decided needs a 5.0, and the boss has contracted him and a few others to do the swap.

He's ordering the parts from Mustang Parts Specialties and it seems as though everything there is in order. He's getting the engine, bellhousing, and all of the wiring and computer related things, as well as a new radiator and the air intake box/hose/etc, and exhaust complete with the hangers.

Is there anything to be looking out for while doing this swap? Will the transmission work with the V8? What other kinds of considerations are there (beyond suspension) to be careful of? Will the stock fuel pump put out enough to power the bigger engine or should that be upgraded? Will the existing fuel lines work or will they need to be modified?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide. I know Tim has a '97 5.0 car.. if you have any words of wisdom, Tim, let me know.

Thanks,

JS

Reply to
JS

inspections.

bellhousing,

overheat. V6 don't run as hot. Tranny will not fit different bellhousings. Computer will have to be upgraded because of the extra two cylinders. that also means an extra two fuel injectors, which will need V8 wiring. Engine will obviously fit but there is defenetly a lot to consider. Try getting your hands on a manual for V6 and V8 and compare. They might user bigger fuel lines because the engine does pull more fuel. Also suspension, you'll defenetly need to thicken up those front springs.

hope this helps D

Reply to
D.S

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

If this were my car, I'd most definately be throwing in a 351W stroked to

392. Unfortunately, it's not my call.

All of the parts I believe are on order... the owner, not the mechanic, ordered the parts... but he went through MPS who seems to know their stuff. He bought supposedly everything he'll need to do the swap as a kit from a wrecked '95, so everything should be in order to make it work in the SN-95 chassis. I told him to check the input shaft of the transmission to make sure that it'll work in the 5.0.. and that the fuel pump *should* work but to do some static tests (and then running tests if the static ones pass)...

Thanks for your input. I'll pass along the information.

Am I correct in guessing that these cars are still EEC-IV? Is the connector pinout the same (or at least similar) to the '93 models?

I voiced my concern about the emissions (thermactor) equipment... the vacuum solenoids and such... not sure if they'll be the same or if they're included in the kit. The car's going to have to pass PA emissions.

JS

Reply to
JS

I will throw a few things at ya,

The radiator (if in good condition) will support the 5.0 as will cooling fan. The V6 T5 transmission will bolt up to the required 5.0 bellhousing. V8 flywheel and clutch will be needed,splines and input shaft is the same between the V6 and V8 trans. I would highly recommend upgrading to an 8.8 rearend. The factory V6 fuel pump will support the 5.0 but I would recommend upgrading.

94/95 V8 guage cluster as the V6 tach will be off. The computer system in the 94/95 is still the EEC-IV. Swap out the CCRM (constant control relay module) to the "R" module. I would highly recommend upgrading springs and add swaybars. 97 5.0 owner

TIM -aka- MUSTTANGUY "at" AOL "dot" COM

Musttanguy

If all he's doing is swapping in a garden variety 302 then it might have been less expensive to buy a '94-'95 GT. As you mentioned, depending on where he lives, the emissions alone could be a nightmare to get right.

They still use the EEC-IV but I think there are more than one variation. I doubt the pinout is the same as the Fox cars. I'm fairly sure the computers aren't compatible between them.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

You are correct, the computers are not compatible UNLESS you go with the aftermarket A9L conversion harness (Pro-M PIH kit).

TIM -aka- MUSTTANGUY "at" AOL "dot" COM

Musttanguy

Don't forget the emissions police. If the car is in an area where they do smog tests, or if you ever want to sell it, expect lots of trouble.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Here in California .... which is THE smog state others usually follow...... if everything is transfered over and correct for the year, the certification "can" be fairly easy. It really all depends upon the referee.