Web hosting & web page building

I want to get into more depth of web desgin just for kicks. I'm looking for some good sources for web hosting. I need someone that will give me my own domain name

I'm also looking for generous amounts of bandwidth up and down. I'm in NC (Cary), and I have a roadrunner connection, so bandwidth on my end isn't a problem. I would just set up IIS but I'm not sure of roadrunners policies concerning it. Any suggestions?

Chad

Reply to
Chad

If you are looking to get someone to host your domain for you, your connection isn't relevant. If you are looking to do your own hosting, you need someone to put your host entry in their domain name servers, and the registrar that registered your domain has to update the record to say who is running the domain name server that has your entry in it. (Usually people who provide hosting services can also register domains for you, but they dont have to be the same people as those who you registered your domain with).

ok that's the theory, here's the practice.

Companys such as dyndns.org can register a .com for you and do the dns thing for ~35 bucks per year. Importantly they are geared up to deal with the fact that your ISP may have given you a dynamic IP address ( one which may change every 24 hours ). This is a bummer for hosting, since it means that the domain name server will need to be updated every 24 hours, but dyndns.org have software which you can run which will do this for you - it spots when your ISP has changed the address and tells dyndns.org. Or alternatively, your broadband firewall router may do it for you ( I have 2 which know about dyndns.org ). You don't have a firewall router ? You are insane :-)

If you want to play for free, you can. Dyndns.org will allow you register up to 5 sub-domain names (e.g.

for free). Shaggie / Travis does it this way
. There are other onesyou can pick from.

Reading this makes it look complicated - its not, honest.

Good luck !

Dave Milne

"I'm also looking for generous amounts of bandwidth up and down." "I have a roadrunner connection, so bandwidth on my end isn't a problem"

Def> I want to get into more depth of web desgin just for kicks. I'm looking for

Reply to
Jim85CJ

give the man a break - he has been posting here for at least 6 months...

Dave Milne

Chad did pass the time by typing:

Well, first off someone doesn't "give" you your own domain name. You have to register one. I suggest

because they terminate spammers and are reasonable in price. They also provide hosting services for your web page.

RoadRunner, like Cox, frown upon users running servers at home. Some actually block inbound port 80 (http) preventing you from running a server on thatstandard port. Unless you buy the commercial rate connection. Usually it's cheaper to have someone else host.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I can recommend godaddy.com for the domain name and/or hosting, I'm not sure how "generous" the bandwidth will be though. RR may block your connection from hosting websites, and if they discover you hosting one they may term your account as it is against their TOS. RR and AOL both already provide you with limited hosting though.

Reply to
Jay Stuler

I used to get Blueyonder checking to see what I was running, so I blocked them in my firewall. As far as they were concerned, none of my ports were open.

Reply to
Dave Milne

Or for the same $35 setup fee, you can get free bannerless hosting with email at Doteasy.com and have a real domain, not a sub-domain. I host several domains there and they're great.

Cheers, - JG

Reply to
Bubba Kahuna (only 1 'J' in my address)

I have had customers use

....they are pretty goodwith the bandwidth, email, all of it...good price too....

Reply to
trailboss

?? The dyndns.org 35 bucks includes the real domain. The subdomain is free.

Dave Milne, Scotland '91 Grand Wag> > Companys such as dyndns.org can register a .com for you and do the dns thing

Reply to
Dave Milne