Website Hosting...

Just like the subject says....out of Geocities, Angelfire, Tripod, and all those guys...who offers the best free hosting? I don't know HTML, so drag and drop editing is easiest for me! I really need something to document the restoration of my Beetle (assuming it ever gets done)...So what are people using and what do they recommend?

Thanks,

Peter

Reply to
Pete Cressman

I have a Tripod and Geocities account. Both of them used to be good back during the dot.com heyday, but they now stink due to the fact that they want you to upgrade to package where they debit your bank account every month. It sux so bad, that I have exceeded the allowable dowload capacity on Geocities myself just checking the site a couple of times after editing it.

Bill Berckman

67 Beetle
Reply to
Bill Berckman

Reply to
Ben Boyle

Doesn't really count in this context. A friend of mine runs a hosting business and gave me some free space (a paltry 500 Megs - gotta talk to him about that. LOL). I bought my own domain name ($35 or less a year). Bandwidth is a concern, though, only 5 Gigs a month. I use FrontPage 2002 to organize my website content. Our VW club website is also on the same server and I'm the webmaster there, too.

Back on topic. All three are crummy. Geocities sidebar ads drive me nuts. Tripod and Angelfire are hell with popups and banners. But whaddya expect for "free"? If you can scrape up $4 to $6 a month, do a Google search on web hosting and see what kind of "top of page" or sidebar paid ads you find. There are lots of them around.

If you primarily want to post pictures with some descriptive text, invest about $25 (per year) at

You can post a few hundred pictures and organize them into folders, along with placing fairly wordy descriptions with each picture. For ease of uploads and maintenance, they'll give you a free posting tool that makes the job nearly foolproof. (They have a "free" level with banner ads and limited posting - like 12 folders of 12 pics each, or something like that). Bandwidth is of no concern with webshots, since they like to have people come and visit (and hopefully spend money on purchasing fullsize commercial images).

Reply to
Malcolm