Passat TDi questions

Hi,

I've just bought a 2000W Passat TDi PD 115 estate and some problems have surfaced pretty quickly with it, which I'd be grateful for some suggestions on.

I've not been able to find any conclusive answers to these questions on google but I'm open to links to specific threads if anyone knows of any. Links to any decent UK based VW web sites would also be appreciated.

1/ Reversing lights not working

The fuse is OK, the bulbs are OK, there is 12v at the fuse so it's looking like the switch is the culprit.

Where is the switch? If it's on the gearbox (which I assume it is), where on the gearbox is it?

Are there any known or common faults with reversing lights?

2/ Intermittent wipe not working

The wipers sweep once when intermittent wipe is selected but then do not sweep again. This is regardless of vehicle speed or amounts rain. They sometimes wipe if the intermittent speed switch is switched back and forth.

Constant wipe functions OK.

Which relay controls the intermittent wipe function? How do I identify the relevant relay(s)? Are there any known or common faults with the wipers?

It has been suggested that this might be related to the rain sensor in the rear view mirror, if so, how can I test/adjust this?

3/ Poor Fuel Economy and Hesitation

This is a bit more subjective, but the fuel economy seems poorer than I would expect. It's in the low 40's for a daily 35 mile motorway run at a cruising speed of 70mph. There seems to be a flat spot and hesitation, almost a misfire, at just below 2000rpm on light throttle openings, which seems to coincide with what seem to be abnormally large amounts of fumes from the back of the car.

One suggestion is that this is a sign that the fuel filter needs replacing, how frequently should this be done?

I've noticed that the oil level in the engine seems higher than the owners manual indicates it should be (checked when cold), it's about

5mm above the top kink in the dipstick. Could this be causing the problem?

Tyre pressures and tracking are correct so there should be no unnecessary rolling resistance.

I've seen suggestions that this might be either the turbo to intercooler hose splitting or the airflow meter playing up, what's the easiest way to check either?

Thanks for any suggestions. Andy Juniper snipped-for-privacy@freeuk.com.spamtrap

Reply to
Andy Juniper

I'd have guessed at late 40's mpg due to its estate drag factor.

Running it with too much oil won't help it, get some Millers XFE in at its next service.

I've heard a few bad stories about recent VWs being riddled with niggles ( easy for me to say...) A colleaugue of mine has a 2001 Sharan with 37K. Its still his company car, but has been the biggest money-pit I've ever heard of. Switchgear was failing everywhere, eats tyres for breakfast , the aircon has been fixed ½ a dozen times which entailed removing the dash and resulted in a broken screen & lots on new cabin rattles. Just had its 1st MOT and needed bottom balljoints & steering trackrod ends.

The best website for you will be

, but thats mainly engine related

I'm starting to believe Jeremy Clarksons recent survey which suggested some of the big names are tumbling down the league tables.

IJ

Reply to
Ebodski