Weld or bolt roll bar to frame?

I've heard seveal people say they'd prefer to do this so in case of roll over the roll bar does not press through the body.

opinions/comments

Thanks,

bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

I have a 6-point roll cage on my CJ5, the four points in the rear are the factory mounts. The two points in the front footwells are bolted to gussets that are welded to the frame. I think that if the two forward points were bolted to the floor, you would have issues of the roll cage bending the tub anytime the roof was on the bottom. My Jeep has been on the roof a couple of times, and the tub seems to be holding up well, so the factory points behind the seats and on the rear fenders seem to be strong enough.

I think your CJ7 has pretty much the same factory roll bar as I have, and the rest of my cage was a kit of some kind that was welded into place.

Reply to
CRWLR

Hi CRWLR,

Did you make your gussets, or did they come with your roll bar. Currently, mine are only mounted to the floor. I have yet to put mine greasy side up. .

-- JimG

80' CJ-7 258 CID 35" BFG MT on 15x10 Centerlines D44 Rear, Dana 30 Front. SOA 4.56 Gears, LockRight F&R Dana 300 w/4:1 & Currie twin sticks Warn X8000i w/ dual batteries

Reply to
JimG

I put plates under my tub so I could bolt the roll bar through the tub to the plates. I made these plates large enough to grab the stock frame 'rubber' mounts.

This way my bar is tagged to the frame behind the seats. I need a new rear cross member and when I get that I am tagging the rear of the roll bar down to the rubber tub mounts there.

Mike

William Oliveri wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Currently,

Keep knocking ... It's just a matter of time.

When I bought my CJ, it had the roll cage already installed, so I don't know the answer to your question. The gussets appear to be similar to the ones that the tub is bolted to a little further back on the frame. the front gussets are larger because the roll cage bolts further out from the frame than the tub bolts are. But, the idea of the gusset is the same.

Reply to
CRWLR

Do you have any pics of this Mike? Allen

Reply to
Allen

Yes.

Are you a member of Sony's Imagestation?

Or I could email them or post them on alt.binaries.pictures.autos.4x4 if you can get that NG.

Mike

Allen wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

You can email them to me at snipped-for-privacy@columbus.rr.com Thanks Mike! I'm in the process of putting in a cage in my CJ and need pointers for the front. Allen

Reply to
Allen

MIKE! Don't do it man!

Post 'em instead! alt.binaries.pictures.autos.4x4

Reply to
Jeepers

Ok, I will send them.

I do have a 'glass body but the same thing holds. Just a metal plate with some holes all the way through.

Mike

Allen wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Done did both....

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
JimG

Do you want an email or are you a member of Sony's ImageStation?

Mike

JimG wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain