Wrangler Limited

Check the New Jeep Pics thread by Matt Macchiarolo from yesterday. There's a pic there.

Reply to
Kevin Sperle

good pics at

Reply to
jbjeep

Have you heard?

Just read DC released that they are going to build an extended version of the 2004 Wrangler. Will lengthen the body 15", 2 of which will be for the back seat passengers the rest for cargo. Anyone seen a pic of it?

Reply to
Kevin Shelhamer

i fail to see what void dc hopes to fill with a stretched wrangler. a stretched 4 door wrangler i could see but the benefits of this model dont outweigh the negative aspects.

Reply to
Nathan Collier

Just curious as to what you see as negative aspects. Other than being longer and therefore a little less manuverable. Anyway, I kinda like it. Hopefully they'll produce a Rubicon version. Is it just me or does the tank hang down farther in the back than a current TJ?

Although if I won the lottery, I'd still buy a Brute. Of course...... I did win the lottery, but I lost my ticket like that lady in Ohio.

Reply to
Kevin Sperle

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

'cause the bronco is a phord and the suburban is a shivvy...

8~)>

-- bob z.

"people with less brain power than you are doing more difficult things everyday"©

Reply to
bob zee

assuming we're comparing stock vehicles, the longer wheel base will give it less clearance when you top hills. the existing "shovel" is bad enough as it is, and it would only get worse with a longer wheel base. im not saying its a "bad" vehicle, had they made it a 4 door i would think it was a great idea because most who require 4 doors arent expecting the same capability anyway. im sure it will be a great vehicle for many, im just saying that i dont really see the point in stretching it and leaving it a 2 door.

the rescue concept on the other hand, is an awesome step in the right direction.

Reply to
Nathan Collier

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

heh....wouldnt it be funny if hummer filed suit? :-)

interesting enough, using my haley-meter i think d/c actually had a valid claim against ford for the rear of the escape. my 2 year old saw an escape that was in front of us in traffic and started yelling "JEEP DADDY! JEEP!". now either the plastic moulding was similar enough to cause confusion of the haley-meter, or she was looking into the future at what deiter has in store for jeep. :-)

Reply to
Nathan Collier

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

FYI

Subject: [JEEP-TJ] Wrangler Unlimited Revealed Update From: Mike TXJEEPER Cohn Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2004 15:28:55 -0600

I just got some more information on Unlimited from my Jeep insider. The press kit was incorrect on a few points which have now been corrected and I also added more answers to questions that I and others had.

jbjeep

I'm guessing they will seriously look into how the Unlimited does demand-wise, to see if they might decide to discontinue the SWB Wrangler...most Wrangler buyers, who never see off-road, will probably opt for the one with more space.

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

GM willl probably file suit for the rear profile, like they did to Studebaker and its Ford F250-platformed XUV.

If you ask me D-C's styling of the Rescue is a direct result of them losing their suit against GM.

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

had it been 4 doors i have no doubt that my wife would be preparing to trade in her xj, and with my blessing. as a 2 door model i just think its gonna flop.

Reply to
Nathan Collier

Kevin, one nice benefit to the longer wheelbase is that it can climb much steeper hills more safely and with less tendency to tipover backwards than the shorter wheelbased Wrangler can. There are some local hills I'd climb in a LWB Jeep or truck that I won't touch in my Wrangler.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

I knew the benifits, I was just seeing what nathan saw as downsides. LWB is nice. My buddies Commando can make stuff I struggle on look easy. His wheels just always seem to be in an easier spot on ledges and such.

Reply to
Kevin Sperle

NO MANUAL TRANSMISSION?

The Wrangler Unlimited comes standard with the same 4.0L, 190 bhp Power Tech I-6 and 42RLE four-speed automatic, and NV231 Command-TRAC transfer case as found on the TJ. Initially, only an automatic version will be available, in the interest of bringing the Unlimited to market quickly. It makes sense, of course, that a 5 speed manual version should follow in the next year.

Reply to
Mark12211