Mondeo anti roll bar

I've just changed the rear anti-roll bar bushes on a 145k mile Mondeo, admittedly with my eyes half closed. When I finished there was just as much play as before. I took the bushes off again, actually plugged in the inspection lamp and noticed that the anti-roll bar itself seemed badly worn where the bushes attach.

I was surprised that the bar had worn because you would expect the rubber bushes to suffer all the wear. Is this normal?

Has anyone removed the rear anti-roll bar before? The Haynes manual and Ford TIS CD say disconnect it and withdraw but I think the cranked ends of the rod will stop it being pulled through. There is a narrow channel formed between the rear suspension arms and the fuel tank, in which the anti-roll bar sits. It looks very much like the fuel tank will have to be lowered and moved forwards slightly to allow the bar to be withdrawn.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Ah, that would be an ecumenical, ummm I mean tribology, matter. It's not unusual for the harder of two rubbing surfaces to wear faster. Hardened steel gudgeon pins wear faster than the soft aluminium of the piston they run in. The process requires debris which the softer material embeds into its surface and becomes what's called in engineering terms a "lap".

In an anti-roll bar the debris comes from road grit and starts to get into the gap when excess wear has already taken place in the bush. If the bush isn't then changed in good time the bar starts to wear too.

Can't answer your question about how to remove the bar though.

Reply to
Dave Baker

If your car is diesel then the bushings are 18mm (i think) part # 7177204 If it is petrol the bushings are 16mm (i think) part# 7177202 I have fitted the petrol bushings in the diesel cars to eliminate play. The anti roll bar is a very poor design as it has a hard plastic sleeve that wears away.

JK

Reply to
JK

In message , JK writes

Yes it is a diesel and the bar is 18mm. I was aware of the size difference and had measured the bar diameter before ordering.

The idea of fitting 16mm bushes seems a good one. Can I assume that the outer diameter is the same as the 18mm ones and that the same clamps can be used?

Cheers,

Reply to
Paul Giverin

In message , Dave Baker writes

Thanks for the explanation Dave.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Paul - if you don't mind me asking how did you know your anti-roll bar bushes were gone? Did you get the clunking sound driving over speed-humps etc, or did the handling go off? The reason I ask is that my

100K Mondeo seems less stable on the roads these days, and is easily unsettled by changes in the road surface. This is particularly noticeable moving out of lane 1 on some of our motorways where the lorrys have worn a deep groove. I have just changed to Goodyear NCT 5 after a lifetime use of Continental eco-contact. I think this is making things slightly worse but I'm sure something else is wrong...

It's just passed an MOT but of course that doesn't mean much.....

TIA

Kev

Reply to
Kevin

In message , Kevin writes

I was under the car having a look and I rattled the anti roll bar and could see the play in the bushes. I should have been suspicious when I saw fairly fresh copper grease on the clamp bolts which are normally quite tight. Someone has replaced the bushes in the last year but the wear has been in the bar and not the bushes.

Indeed. So had this one.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

No need to establish if the bushings are gone...... If it's a mondeo ....they're gone !!! Yes the outer diameter of the bush is the same... same u-band clamp too.

JK

Reply to
JK

In message , JK writes

Thanks for that. I'll pop down and get some 16mm bushes and give them a try. Hopefully I can avoid having to replace the anti-roll bar for a year or two.

Cheers,

Reply to
Paul Giverin