Bill Bashing

I've been reading this forum for around two years now. Bill responds with a helpful link, information, and and answer to my question around eighty percent of the time. Ten percent of the time, he responds with something helpful. The other ten percent, he doesn't respond or doesn't know.

I think I'm probably one of the last frequent posters to comment on this whole Bill-Bashing thing, as I've tried to keep my nose out of it. Most of you know I usually avoid internet 'politics' (remember the guy who threatened to 'beat my ass' because I reccomended a spring-over for a YJ?).

I won't post my DD-214. Why? I don't have anything to prove and if someone on the internet doesn't belive I did my best to serve my country then I really don't give a flying small block chevy. Frankly, I just don't give a f*ck if someone insults me through a keyboard. Every insult thrown my way through a keyboard and delivered through usenet passes unmarked.

Here's what I know. Bill is old, and set in his ways. When he was young, times were different. He can probably be an ass. He is opinionated and stubborn. He's quick to challenge when he feels someone is wrong about something. He's also knowledgeable and helpful. He has gone through the trouble of cataloging damn near everything Jeep on the internet on his personal web site, and makes that availible to all of us.

Maybe the goat posts cloud our once lovely Jeep haven. Maybe Bill brought it on himself. I will return to my previous statement. I just don't give a f*ck. Suck up and be a man (or woman) about it. Set up your spam filters. Delete the garbage on-site. If you have young children, check the board and clean it up for them first, or just teach them that there are stupid people doing stupid things. Parents, you can only depend on yourselves to protect or teach your children.

I honestly feel that this newsgroup would be worse off without Bill. But being probably around 1/4 of Bill's age, what do I know?

Carl

PS. Yeah, I know I probably made several spelling and gramatical errors. Who cares?

Reply to
Carl

Ditto. Well said and well done.

Reply to
Daniel Bibbens

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

What they said... ...plus, "it takes TWO to tango".

We get that some people have a problem. There's no need to repeat it ad nauseam.

noneofyourbusiness

I still love this: O|||||||O

Reply to
Thoth1126

Thanks for saying something that needed to be said Carl, I agree.

Bill has been very helpful to me even if I don't have a "real" Jeep, and is a real asset to this group. Every successful automotive newsgroup I know of has a core of real experts, the two most apparent ones on this group are Bill and Mike, I learn something from most all of their posts... unless there are goats or script kiddies involved, those I just ignore.

Jeff DeWitt

Carl wrote:

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

Reply to
ufatbastehd

I have found Bill to be about equally helpful and annoying. While he does provide a lot of good information, it often comes with a lot of unnecessary baggage. And when he's obviously incorrect, it usually ends up in a flame battle.

Would the group be better off without Bill? No, but I don't think it would be much worse off, either, since there are so many other knowledgeable people, and the signal to noise ratio will probably improve. For the time being he will remain in my killfile until he is able to resist feeding his trolls.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

+1, I agree.
Reply to