Rubicon: What do you think?

I've been thinking about buying the Jeep Rubicon, but I wanted to see what some of you that have had one for a while think about them. I'll be using it as my daily driver as well as occasional off road fun. Is it worth the extra money or would my money be better spent on the Sport or X and then adding a lift, tires, and lockers on my own?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Jeff

Reply to
Boneman1

It depends. Too many variables. Its a personal decision only you can make after analyzing your needs, your mechanical ability and your wallet.

Robert Bills KG6LMV Orange County CA

Robert Bills

Personally, if I was wanting front and rear lockers, 4:1 tcase, lockers F&R, and a front D44, and disc brakes on all four corners, I would go for the Rubicon. If my list was shortened slightly to not include disc brakes and D44s, then I would get the Sport or Sahara and add my lift and lockers later. The 4:1 tcase is a very valuable add on and coupled with the lockers, will get you really stuck. Be sure to get a HiLift jack.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

In my opinion, for "daily driver as well as occasional off road fun" Jeff doesn't really need any of this stuff. Install a Trak-Lok front and rear and some locking hubs on a Sport, and call it good.

Disclaimer: If "occasional off road fun" is hard core rock crawling or deep mud, please ignore the above advice. ;o)

Earle

Jeff Strickland wrote:

Reply to
Earle Horton

It really depends on what kind off off-raoding you want to be able to do. If you want to keep all your options open, definitely go for the rubi.

Around here, the rubi is onl 3k more than a sport with a d44, 5spd, dual top. For three grand, I couldn't get all that stuff in the aftermarket.

Mike

98 TJ SE
Reply to
GzrGlide

I love my Rubicon.

MJ w/ 2 TJ's

The Rubi isn't just about lockers - look at the t-case. If you're going to build up a Jeep, get a Rubi, put a lift, winch and 35's on it and you're done! That's what I did.

Reply to
Desert YJ

I live in Silverton, CO, Jeep paradise, there are lots of them here, and from what I have seen you have to be at least sixty-five to own or drive a Rubicon. I guess I won't be getting mine for twelve years then. Another rule is that you don't take a new vehicle like a Rubicon or its sister the Liberty on actual four wheel drive trails. The kids who actually like to off road and are good at it drive CJ7s, old Wranglers, FJ-40s, full sized Blazers, Samurais, CRVs (!), beat up Toyota pickups, short bed step side Ford pickups. Don't have the paint looking too good and drive it here if you don't want to be laughed at. If you flat tow it behind a motor home that is almost acceptable. ;o)

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

wow... i guess i am about 30+ years ahead of my time...however, those buicks are sure looking pretty snazzy...

snobby jeep people suck...

Reply to
MJ w/ 2 TJ's

I don't think that I have ever seen anyone quite that young standing that close to a Rubicon before. ;o)

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I own one. I also own an 86 CJ-7. Wanna buy it?

I am 25.

Billy

message

Reply to
Billy Tolcher

Reply to
Thomas Waldron

I just can't see the sense in paying the high price for a new Rubi. For your top dollar, you are getting decent, but not great, off-road performance. (No lift, no Dana 60, no 8-cylinder engine.)

The way I see it, there are two kinds of jeeps: Street cruisers and true off-roaders. If you want a street cruiser, buy an SE or a Sport and have fun with it. If you want a true off-roader, you could buy a built CJ with dual locking Dana 60s and 44 inch super swampers for

1/3 the cost of a new Rubi.

The Rubi exists in this weird half-of-both world. People who buy Rubis and don't have any offroading plans are morons with wallets bigger than their brains. People who have true offroading plans know the stock Rubi isn't up to the job... unless you have Bill Gates' budget to trick it out.

Reply to
E.L. Lambert

Why the hell didn't you stop by or at least call? ;o)

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
Thomas Waldron

Reply to
Billy Tolcher

Reply to
Thomas Waldron

Next time, give me a call. My wife has almost got over thinking that people I meet on the internet are serial killers, and she's a sucker for kids (although she won't admit it). And come to Silverton first. It's our turn to get your money. ;o)

That Scout might still be here too. I've decided to use the money on an axle upgrade for the Jeep. It is galvanized, after all.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

If by "dual purpose" and "capable" you mean it is good for both the street and occasional mild off road conditions where a car such as a Honda sedan could probably not pass, fine. But if you mean, let's say, the major trails at Moab, your stock Rubicon is going to get left behind or broken.

A stock Rubicon will not handle serious trails. Don't feel bad, no stock vehicle can. They just don't have the lift, tires, etc.

I'm not saying a Rubicon can't be made into a rockcrawler for the right price. Hell, you can build a Yugo into an offroader that will put most jeeps to shame, if you have unlimited time, knowledge, and budget. What I'm saying is that if your primary goal is wheelin', the $30k+ that you'll spend to get a Rubicon, lift it, put 35+ inch tires on it, etc., is not the most efficient use of your money. You could have a rip roarin' CJ or YJ for much, much, much less.

True, a hard core CJ or YJ would not be as stylish, modern, or shiny looking in the mall parking lot as a pretty new stock Rubicon. Which reinforces the other point I was making: If you want a street cruiser, the cash for the Dana 44s, 4:1 tcase, and other Rubicon goodies is gonna go to waste. If you want a street cruiser, get a sport or SE, and spend the cash you saved on lowering it down, putting some blacklights and ground effects underneath, and installing a massive stereo and amplifier. That type of jeep wouldn't be my cup of tea, but hey, to each his own.

Reply to
E.L. Lambert

...No.

I actually had just stepped in from an after hours meeting, and was somewhat intoxicated. I suppose my true feelings must have slipped out inadvertantly. I apologize for the outburst, and less than tactly approach. However, I have no regrets.

Carry on...

Billy

86 CJ 7 03 Rubicon

Reply to