What is this thing under my hood (CJ7)

It's got lots of wires bundled up and it has a bracket on the end with two yellow or orange (I'm color blind) rubber caps that appear as if you could plug something into it. It's on the driver's side and although mine is not attached to something...looks like it would mount to the fender. Any ideas?? Allen

83 CJ7
Reply to
Allen

L.W.(ßill)

So it's not mounted? Just hanging there... by what? It does not sound like the ignition computer (brain box)... they have two pigtail connectors, one with 2 wires and the other with 4 wires (like Bill's picture). Could be an after market brain box, I don't know. If it's not hooked up and is the brain box, then you must have the "Nutter bypass". Any letters/numbers on it?

-- JimG

80' CJ-7 258 CID 35" BFG MT on 15x10 Centerlines D44 Rear, Dana 30 Front. SOA 4.56 Gears, LockRight F&R Dana 300 w/4:1 & Currie twin sticks Warn X8000i w/ dual batteries
Reply to
JimG

That should be bolted to the fender if on the drivers side and to the battery holder if on the passenger side.

Those are the diagnostic test ports for all the emissions crap. My Haynes manual has the pin out for them and one can use a multimeter to test most things.

Mike

Allen wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain