What Stude V8 do I have from casting numbers

Hi, I am new to the group but have been lurking for quite a while. I just bought a 64 Daytona Hardtop project, it is a major project. It has a Stude V8 which the seller said was an R1, but I doubt it. I checked the machined pad at the front of the block and it was blank. Is there any way to tell what engine this is based on the casting numbers? The block casting number is 554641; the head casting number is 1555294. I checked in my recently purchased parts catalog and those numbers do not show up as part numbers. Can anyone help? Thanks,

KenStude

Reply to
kengaye

Ken, it looks like you have a service block and there really isn't any difference between the blocks aside from the later ones have a full flow oil filter.

I think your going to have to measure the piston travel to determine if it's a 259 or a 289.

The head looks like it's a regular head, not an R1 head...

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, and maybe some of the real experts can give you some better news.

However whatever you have if it's healthy you've got a great engine there, one of the fastest cars I've ever ridden in (at least is sure FELT fast) was a GT Hawk with a 259 that had a R1/R2 cam and some head modifications.

Jeff DeWitt

snipped-for-privacy@flash.net wrote:

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

Ken,

If you have the pan off it, look at the casting number on the crankshaft. Get it back to us and I think one of us can then tell you if it is a 259, or

289. Look on the passanger side at the rear of the block, below the head and see if it has a filter base bolted on there. This would at least indicate that is is a late 62-64 full flow block. The cast number, could it possibly read 1554641 as opposed to 554641?

Bo

Reply to
64daytonaht

Also, I believe that an R1 would have a different harmonic balancer than a regular Stude V8... although I've no idea what the difference is! I think it should also have a different fuel pump and there would be a fuel return line, which a regular engine wouldn't have.

Jeff DeWitt

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

If I'm thinking straight can't you pull a plug and look for (flat top piston 259) or (dished piston 289)

Reply to
63t-cab