What Kind of Oil Do You Use and Why?

Since we're on the topic of frequency of oil changes, I was wondering what kind of oil people are putting in their Lexus.

Also, where do you go to have the oil changed or do you change it yourself? (I added that last part for Elmo. :-) )

Reply to
David Z

I just got our lexus 10,000 miles ago. the first change was at the dealer as we got the rear main seal replaced, and today i changed it myself the first time. it was difficult, the filter is well hidden and requires that you remove the lower front shroud to gain access. I will be changing the oil every 5000 miles, no more. the old oil was slightly gelled. i will definitely not change this oil in the winter, i will have the dealer do it.

I used mobile 1 synthetic 5w30, the next time i may go with 0w20, does anyone think that is a bad idea to use a lighter oil?

Reply to
fish

On our 04 RX330 (V6), it isn't necessary to remove the front shroud to access the oil filter--I agree it is a bit of a pain, but you can remove / replace the oil filter with it on.

I use a cap-end filter wrench that loosen's the filter nicely.

I am curious what you mean by your statement that the "oil was slightly gelled'.

As for me, I use Mobil 5000 5W30 (3 qts) and Mobil 1 EP 5W30 (2 qts) in our RX330.

Regarding Mobil 1 0W20, Mobil isn't making that oil any longer, you will have to go to a 5W20. In my opinion, the manual recommends 5W30, that is what I would use.

Also, if you want to make sure you engine is clean, run a bottle of Auto RX through it at your next oil change (check out

for great info)--especially true if you don't know the oil change history of the used Lexus.

Reply to
Curtis Newton

Please describe "slightly gelled"? tnx

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

Really? Hmmmmm.....

Dino oil. The service station up the street. They do a great job, it's cheap, etc. Plus, my ES is just a Camry from their end. No big deal.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

why does that smell like snake oil?

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

by "slightly gelled", i mean that since i spilled quite a bit of oil as i was removing the filter, i got more oil on me tonight than i have for the past 24 years of all the oil changes i have ever dont. so unfortuneately i got a real good look at that oil as it was on my hand, and it was clearly thicker than when it was poured into the engine. it really was thicker, it wouldnt run down my arm, it just stayed in place until i wiped it off.

i agree, if the manual says use 5w30 then i should use it.

can you tell me what you have heard about mobil 1 0w20? i use that in my honda and sounds like you know something.

Fish.

Reply to
fish

Not in this case, check out the test run at

This guy is not associated with Auto-RX at all.

Here are the BEFORE READINGS AT 121,893 MILES (PREAUTO-RX)

Compression: Cylinder 1-117psi Cylinder 2-120psi Cylinder 3-117psi Cylinder 4-119psi

Idle Oil Pressure:

16psi@680rpm@190degrees fahrenheit (coolant temp)

Ambient Temp:

97 degrees

Hot Idle RPM (A/C off):

680rpm

Here are the AFTER READINGS AT 129,136 MILES (~7000 miles w/Auto-Rx)

Compression: Cylinder 1-170psi +53psi Cylinder 2-168psi +48psi Cylinder 3-158psi +41psi Cylinder 4-173psi +54psi

Idle Oil Pressure:

18psi@730rpm@180degrees fahrenheit (coolant temp)

Ambient Temp: ~70 degrees

Hot Idle RPM (A/C off):

730rpm
Reply to
Curtis Newton

The 0W20 is no longer.

You might be able to find it on clearance, but Mobil gave in to Honda and Ford and they are now producing a 5W20 instead.

Here is a response as to 'Why did Mobil discontinue 0W20"

0268

Reply to
Curtis Newton

98 GS 300, 60,000 miles, Mobil 1, 0W-40 European Formula, Pure 1 oil filter. The GS is driven mainly long trip, 100 + miles with 5-15 K miles per year. The oil is changed every spring and the filter every 7500 miles or with oil change. The oil is analyzed every 20,000 with good results so far. ***************** Thank You snipped-for-privacy@msbx.net

Dr. Kavorkian for White house Physician

To reply to this email please remove the AT after the kgs in the reply to address as shown above.

Reply to
KG

Castrol 10-30. Changed every 90 days or 3000 miles and an OEM filter. I would use a synthetic, but I am not convinced they offer any better protection.

Reply to
Me

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik