What's up with my temp gauge?

This is on my 87 YJ - When I turn the key on the gauge pegs out. Start it up - and it stays pegged. Pull the wire off the sender - and it goes back to zero. Re-install it and the reading is correct to the water temp.

What the heck is going on?

Thanks Chuck

87YJ - stock 04 Rubicon - built
Reply to
Chuck

Chuck did pass the time by typing:

Almost sounds like your engine ground strap has corroded. But usually that causes all sorts of other problems too.

Could also be the sensors connector is bad or the wire has a break, spray it with some contact cleaner and apply some dilectric grease to keep the rustbunnies away.

Reply to
DougW

there was a point in time when my fuel gage would not work w/ less than 1/3 fuel in tank on my 91 yj common problem?- read this i thought the sender on the fuel pump was bad so i left things for a while as it seemed too much hassle to dig it up a few weeks later the temp gage started pegging at increased frequency, all randomly for no apparent reason shortly after the oil gage started acting up! i thought too much of a coincidence multiple gages freaking out at nearly the same time i figured there had to be something cooking behind the dash i disassembled the gage panel and sure enough found the cause of my problemas- the semi-printed circuit board was all wet! i have no clue as to where so much condensation came from but i wiped it all dry, put everything back and all my gages started working again!!!

fyi, no i did not swim in my vehicle in the atlantic ocean prior to experiencing above problermas lol

pete

Reply to
Peter D.