What the Hell is Loctit 515?

I resealed the rear main on my '94 YJ yesterday and per the official shop manual the edges of the rear bearing cap should be sealed with a small (3mm) bead of Loctite 515. Unfortunately no one in town, including my local Jeep dealer had any idea what that stuff was. Everyone who knew what I was referring to recommended using hi-temp RTV instead, which is what I used. Anyone know what this 515 is?

Reply to
Jerry McG

L.W.(ßill)

It is generically known as anaerobic sealer. It is transparent red, and has the consistency of jelly. It is quite good at sealing minor imperfections between machined surfaces. GM specifies it on a number of applications.

I don't know where you can purchase it, aside from a dealership. I buy mine from my dealership's parts department.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Newton

Jerry McG did pass the time by typing:

Oh OH OH! Do I know. :)

It's an anerobic (cures in the absence of air) selant/real thin gasket maker. I need it to seal up my charger and the mounting flanges.

518 is similar as I have found is a NAPA Permatex
Don't use RTV! They arn't the same thing.

Also remember that 515 needs several hours (8 higly recomended) to cure before any pressure/vac is applied.

Reply to
DougW

wouldn't it cure in the packaging then? weird....

Reply to
herman

herman did pass the time by typing:

You would think so, but actually it won't. The package is designed to let air in. The product cures when exposed to metal surfaces and in the absence of oxygen. loctite's website has some technical stuff.

Reply to
DougW

Type in 515 in the product name box, and follow the links. It comes up as a .pdf .

Reply to
CR