Very strange 97TJ Oil pressure problem

I would appreciate opinions you all might have on my very strange oil pressure problem with my TJ

97TJ 2.5L 4-Speed A/C

Just had oil change, filter (FRAM PH16), tail pipe/muffler, ac charge, front disc pads, serpentine belt.

Works fine on short hops. Oil gauge stays on 40 just like always. After I go about 10 miles, when I some to a stop the oil pressure drops little by little, but goes right up to 40 when I rev the engine. Eventually, it will fo down low enough to trigger the oil light but all I have to do is hit the gas and I'm fine.

Oil level is ok - full, no frothl. No leaks anywhere. I don't know where the oil pump is so I can't see if it's loose but I'd suspect that if it was, there'd be oil everywhere. Valve cover cap is on tight.

The only other new noises or symptoms is:

- Then I start up, the new S belt screeches for about 3 seconds then quiets down

- There seems to be some kind of a squeak occasionally when I turn, brake or start up fast. Not real loud but sharp sound. Just one squeak and it's over.

Since it started right after the maintenance (not Daimler) it almost has to be related to something that was done. I've gone to the same shop for 20 years so I know it's not a rip off, but it almost has to be something that was done there. It almost sounds like there's some sort of malfunction with the filter that there isn't enough pressure unless the engine revs are up.

I dunno what is going on, but it's the darndest thing I've ever come across.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hank

Reply to
hankfox

hankfox did pass the time by typing:

The pump is in your engine under the distributor in the engine block above the oil pan. Your not going to see it unless you tear the pan off. :)

Remove, clean, and reinstall the sensor wire leading to the oil pressure sender (should be screwed into the oil boss right by your filter) Least that's where it is on the I6. YMMV

The only sure way to determine you oil pressure is with a mechanical gauge screwed into that hole. Check the connection first.

40 seems a little low to me. The ZJ runs about 60psi depending on temerature. But I'm not familiar with the I4

That chirp on acceleration is telling me your belt needs to be readjusted. New belts stretch after they warm up.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
David C. Moller

I had a similar problem with my 4.0 6cylinder 97TJ. Had mechanic put mechanical gage on it and said pressure was "actualy" what it should be... after putting my sensor back the problem went away. Im betting its your sensor giving you trouble, wiggle it or even remove it and wipe it down and replace it and see what ya get. If you remove it, let the engine completely cool down, better for you, AND the aluminum threads you are turning.

Hope this helps!!

Reply to
Steve Grammer

Thanks to all of you who responded. From what you all have said, it's about 99% the sender. I need to get a couple of hours of sunlight to go take a look at it. I'll let you know how I make out.

Thanks aga>I would appreciate opinions you all might have on my very strange oil

Reply to
hankfox

Fram filters have been known to cause wierd readings in Jeeps. I'd suggest switching to a better quality filter (eg. purolator). I bet that will fix the low readings.

hankfox wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Reply to
rask