Rear Seal / Oil Pan

(87 YJ 258) I got very tired of oil messing up my driveway and decided to tackle the oil pan gasket and half way through that I came to my senses and realized while I had the pan off why not do the rear seal.

I have a few questions before I put it back together tomorrow.

1.) Haynes says to remove the bell housing inspection plate?

I took out all the bolts I could find (including 2 that go thru from the rear) and it wouldn't budge. This didn't stop me from getting the pan off so I can assume it was an unnessesary step.

2.) Haynes says to apply RTV to the chamfered edges of the bearing retainer.

Looking at this picture .....do I have the right spot?

seems to me if I apply RTV here it will play with the clearancebetween the bearing and the cap.

3.) Also should I plan to appy rtv to the cork gaskets but should I appy RTV to the rear oil pan seal when I reinstall?

Oh.... I almost forgot they also state in the manual to apply liquid soap to the seal.... What would you folks recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Jeepster

retainer.

The factory manual recommends an anerobic sealer, Loctite 515.

Apply it only to the edges of the bearing cap, behind the lower seal half. The factory manual recommends a 3mm tall bead of the 515 sealer.

the bearing and the cap.>

If you over do it it may, that's why DC recommends the anerobic sealer.

RTV to the rear oil pan seal when I reinstall?>

Forget the old four-piece kit, get the new, grey one-piece pan gasket. Much easier to install and will seal much better than the old style.

to the seal.... What would you folks recommend?>

That works fine, however hi-temp grease works better.

Reply to
Jerry McG

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

If you follow the directions, you will get it.

I prefer the one piece pan gasket.

Then when you have it all back together and it still leaks out on the ground, go up top and fix the leaky valve cover.... ;-)

Mike

Jeepster wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
Jeepster

On the ones I do, I use the soap and oil on the seal and have had good luck with them. The tabs or end wings on the seal also have to have RTV on both sides of them. The cap needs it out at the edges on the angled part

The trick is to get the pan and block super clean. Acetone works well or brake cleaner for this. One fingerprint and the buggers will leak.

If using the cork, I use a thin skim of RTV silicone on both sides. I think I even did that on my one piece I have in there now. No leaks anyway. :-)

looking at your pan, I recommend RTV no matter what gasket. It fills in the dents.

Then one big one a lot of folks forget is that RTV takes 24 hours to cure. If you put oil in it or start it up before then, it likely will leak.

Mike

Jeepster wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
Jeepster

The inspection plate is a small plate made of sheet metal that is between the oil pan and the bottom portion of the bell housing. It should have 4 bolts to hold it on. It could be held by two bolts and two well-placed ears, but I think they used four bolts. The CJs get four bolts, I assume the YJs get treated the same.

Reply to
CRWLR

Reply to
Steve G

Reply to
Jeepster

Which brings me to something I've always wondered: When you take that inspection plate off, what can you inspect? There's not a lot mechanical, adjustable or inspectable going on on the forward side of the flywheel.

Me, I'm thinking that is is a fancy way of saying "dust shield", but I could be wrong.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

You 'really' don't want to go and break the new glue seal!!!!

Once you tighten the bolts, you can't breath on it until it cures.

If you turn the bolts again, you will just tear open the fresh seal and it will leak like a sieve.

Mike

Jeepster wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

The factory service manual for my 86 CJ says to use anaerobic sealant, not rtv.

Use the one piece rubber gasket and put in on DRY. Make sure the oil pan and block are really clean -- use a wire wheel if you have to. Make sure the oil pan gasket seats on the back of the rear main cap.

Use any soap you like, just be careful not to tear the new seal.

Reply to
Sleestak

Reply to
Jeepster

Reply to
Steve G

The factory manual recommends you make 6 slotted head studs out of bolts to install in the bolt holes around the sides of the pan. You slip the gasket over 'em and they hold it in place until you slip on the pan. These seemed like PITA to make, so I went to the hardware store and got 6 sloted head studs of the right size, worked like charm.

Reply to
Jerry McG

Well I might have got lucky :) I topped it up with oil today and went for a 1 hour drive around town.... no one drop of oil has leaked out. Should be good for a few months now I hope. :)

Thanks for all the suggesti>It's not a matter of still being soft, it has more to do with the "skinning"

Reply to
Jeepster

You can look at the edge of the clutch disc to see how much material is remaining. Kind of like the way you might check the remaining material on the brake shoes or pads.

Reply to
CRWLR