Wheel adapters ?????

Gonna use spacers/adapters temporarily with some oversize tires, Toyo LT285/70 on a 2008 JK with stock rims. What size adapters would you use... I am thinking 1.25" should be enough but might go to 1.5" if anyone has experience that would indicate it. Only be using them for about 6 months with no off road games.... Then the right rims and off road in Arizona!

Reply to
D-R

Well, I'm no fan of adapters, mainly because they tend to increase stress and folks run them for a long time without checking the bolts.

Newer aircraft aluminum ones are much tougher and line up better than the old steel plates that in my opinion never should have been sold.

A good set is going to run close to $50/wheel. Might want to take that into account when you price out the rims. i.e. just wait till you get the rims to mount the tires, then trade the old ones.

Reply to
DougW

Looking at new 6061 aluminum ones. 4 for about $140 so they are give away cost and the tires are already mounted and rubbing a little on tight turns..

Reply to
D-R

Adjust the wheel stops? Cheaper than the adapters.

Reply to
RoyJ

Seconded.

DougW

Already have 1 washer in the stop. Not sure if I want to add more and increase the turning radius. I also have a little rubbing in the rear.

Reply to
D-R

Good day,

FWIW, I run Spider Trax 1.25" spacers on our Jeep Liberty and have so for the last 2 years without any problems whatsoever. I check the torque on the additional 20 wheel/spacer nuts everytime I rotate the tires. BTW, our Rig has 236,700 kilometers/147,078.6 miles on the clock and it still has the original wheel bearings. And yes, our KJ gets wheeled hard all year round! As far as there being extra strain or stress on the wheel bearings, it is not any different than using wheels which are wider or have a different offset or back spacing.

Reply to
socks09